1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird CHKDSK activity....need some advice

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Audiological, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Audiological

Audiological Thread Starter

Hello All,

I have a weird activity going on with my HP laptop. The laptop is a custom DV3. Here are the specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit (upgraded in place from Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit)
    Intel Core 2 Duo P7550 @ 2.26 GHz
    BIOS version: F.12
    4GB DDR3 ram
    NVidia Geforce G 105M w/ 512MB dedicated video ram
    HDD: WDC WD2500BEKT-60F3T1

I have been noticing that my computer has been slow lately and that every time I restart, Win7 starts the chkdsk command at boot. The abnormal thing is that it hangs at the end of the "hit any button to skip check" countdown. The other issue that I have is that under Disk Defrag, my C: drive does not show up. I believe that this is due to the "dirty bit" being active on the C: drive.

I have tried to do the commands listed on this page: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/465184-volume-dirty.html
    and unfortunately I am in the same position. I do not want to let this issue run rampant and I feel that I am at a stand still with it.

Any help or advice would be awesome. I am hoping I do not have to format to fix this issue.

2. Sponsor

3. antech

antech Banned

How old is the hard disk?
    The signs are that it is failing..
    Try running "chkdsk /r" without the quotes

4. antech

antech Banned

Oh,one more thing
    Try attaching an external drive and then check the original hard disk

5. Audiological

The whole machine was purchased in September 2009, so it is less than a year old. However, the HDD is a 7200 RPM in a laptop which, I would think, would make it much more susceptible to damage. At the same time, it is an HP ProtectSmart HDD so it is supposed to be less susceptible to damage.

I tried "chkdsk /r" and it did the same thing. Should I disable the original one using "chkntfs /x C:" and then do "chkdsk /r" (obviously, without the quotes)?

Thanks for the help

6. Audiological

I tried to clear the check through chkntfs /x C: and then tried chkdsk /r. It didn't hang, however, it did not go through the check, it acted as if I pressed a button to skip the check.

7. antech

antech Banned

If its under warranty,
    contact the support and try replacing it..
    BAD SECTORS MAY HAVE APPEARED

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916306