1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

weird click noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chachi15, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chachi15

chachi15 Thread Starter

i have just bought a compaq presario notebook and every so often i here a weird kinda click noise, what is it and is it potentially bd or just a common probleme amoung laptops

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It would depend on what the "click" noise is. If it's the disk drive, you're past due for a backup of anything important. :)

3. chachi15

chachi15 Thread Starter

what do you mean by that?

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Bad hard drive is what he means.

5. onsite

onsite

there is something called the "click of death" ... a terminology PC techs use. Usually when a HD gets ready to go bad it will 1. take a long time to boot, making a clicking noise 2. the pc will have to be restarted several times in a row to get the "clicking" HD to boot
    3. The pc boots normally , but a clicking noise is heard
    As a computer tech it completely amazes me how many ppl just keep turning off then on their PCs thinking it is normal to usually weeks latter the HD completely dies and they lose everything.
    If your clicking noise is cyclical, like every 2 seconds, like a stone in the tread of a car. It is probably the fan. Having said that you may not hear it all the time, most notebooks only turn on the fans for a while then off again. Now if the clicking is like morse code ( random) clicks, ( could just be a few) then it is a good chance it is the HD. It also could be something with your audio, so turn the sound down or mute. If you have xp or 2000 go to control panel admin tools, look in event viewer for hd errors or disk management

6. chachi15

chachi15 Thread Starter

this notebook is brand new so should i return it soon then as this could lead to problems down the road? As well the sound is almost a metal kinda ping noise its hard to describe.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The notebook should NOT be making such a noise. As above it may indicate a failing hard drive.

You should get it checked under warranty immediately.

8. chachi15

chachi15 Thread Starter

this sound only occurs randomly after 10 -15 mintues its not very loud but itsn oticable,as well i noticed this sound is evident about 2 seconds before te computer shuts off any thoughts

9. kdm31091

kdm31091

I'd probably get it checked, I'm not expert but as I've learned through research and posting on here, hard drive noises of ANY kind are bad.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice