1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird Color Blurs Caused by SP2??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Capnbob, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Capnbob

Capnbob Thread Starter

Hi,

Lately I've noticed that when I'm on some websites that there will be these streaks going across the screen that are weird colors. They're never large, just annoying small lines of different colors. Sometime these go over text and distort the letters. Honestly, I've only seen this problem on the Microsoft retail site and in Outlook Express.

I'm pretty convinced the problem was cause somehow by Service Pack 2. Right after I installed it I had this problem.

Also, the blurs will go away if I highlight the text it's over or if I put another window over a distorted area.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
    Capnbob

2. Capnbob

Capnbob Thread Starter

I take back what I said about only seeing blurs and lines on Microsoft's retail site and in outlook. They're now all across my desktop and it's getting worse in IE. :confused:

3. zmaster

zmaster

Your problem sounds more like a monitor issue or video issue more then sp2 related. I've had the same problem. Mine turned out to be a problem with my monitor but try making sure that your connection from the monitor to your computer is secure. You might have to adjust some of the settings on your monitor or possibly re-install your graphics driver.

4. Capnbob

Capnbob Thread Starter

I've updated my Graphics card drivers and checked my monitor. The problem is still occuring...

What now? :confused:

5. Deathblow

Deathblow

If you have another monitor, or a friend that can loan you one, you might wanna see if it's doing it on that one as well. If so, then you know it's not the monitor.

6. Capnbob

Capnbob Thread Starter

Could it still be the monitor even though when I highlight blurred areas/lines or put a window over them they go away?

It seems to be worst when I scroll down. The brings more up to the screen...

Thanks,
    Capnbob

7. zmaster

zmaster

whats your screen refresh rate? right click on the desktop --> properties --> settings --> advanced --> monitor --> ?

8. pfurball

pfurball

Howdy CapnBob, You might need a copy of Microsoft Knowledge Base Article-842242. It is found on the support.microsoft.com site and lists known programme issues and roughly, how to fix them. You can also leave a query with the site and they will email a reply to you. Hope this helps.:)

9. Capnbob

Capnbob Thread Starter

It's currently at 75 Hertz. As far as I know, it's been that way for some time though.

10. Capnbob

Capnbob Thread Starter

I checked the list and as far as I know, none of those programs are installed on my computer :\

It's strange... It really seems to do it at random intervals. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. Usually when it starts up, it just gets worse. Restarting the computer clears it for a while.

11. zmaster

zmaster

did you overclock your radeon?

12. Capnbob

Capnbob Thread Starter

Nope.

13. Deathblow

Deathblow

Did you try another monitor yet?

14. Capnbob

Capnbob Thread Starter

It actually seems to have stopped?? I don't know why, but it hasn't done it for the last couple of days.

Strange... I'll post back if it starts again.

Thank you all for your help : )

15. zmaster

zmaster

given that it has stopped doing it, i would definitely say its your monitor

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice