Weird colored dots

Tjoms

hello! i have experienced some weird dots coming when i use the browser or when i open games and i have to restart the pc for them to go away for some time but its never on the desktop (weirdly). i have been searching around and asked friends what it could be but we no luck so i wanna try here.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200621095516.000000+060
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 12
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
Hard Drives: C: 446 GB (98 GB Free); D: 931 GB (931 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME H310M-K, ver Rev X.0x, s/n 180732056317165
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated

Attachments

I would guess that this is an issue with the video card or the memory, since you can see the dots in the screenshot. How long have you had this issue? If you've updated anything recently, this might suggest it is a driver problem. Either that, or a physical problem with the graphics card.

Tjoms

I would guess that this is an issue with the video card or the memory, since you can see the dots in the screenshot. How long have you had this issue? If you've updated anything recently, this might suggest it is a driver problem. Either that, or a physical problem with the graphics card.
ive had this issue for like 4 days and didnt update anything when it started but when it started i downloaded the new driver and didnt work

Tjoms

this is one of the other things it does besides the dots how can that black bar even have a shadow?

Attachments

ive had this issue for like 4 days and didnt update anything when it started but when it started i downloaded the new driver and didnt work
I think the screenshot might be an issue inside the game? I did a bit of research, and if you can see the dots in a screenshot, this may well be a software issue.

Try booting into safe mode: Windows Button > Power > Hold down Shift + Restart > Click Troubleshoot then Advanced Options > Start-up Settings > Restart > Restart in Safe Mode.

If the dots are no longer showing up in safe mode, then the issue may be caused by a 3rd party software, you might want to try going through your apps and trying to figure out which one might be causing the issue. Hope this works.

Tanis

Shane
Also might be worthwhile updating Windows. Build 19041 is a year old now and there have been two new builds since then.

19042 - Released Oct 2020
19043 - Released May 2021

Tjoms

I think the screenshot might be an issue inside the game? I did a bit of research, and if you can see the dots in a screenshot, this may well be a software issue.

Try booting into safe mode: Windows Button > Power > Hold down Shift + Restart > Click Troubleshoot then Advanced Options > Start-up Settings > Restart > Restart in Safe Mode.

If the dots are no longer showing up in safe mode, then the issue may be caused by a 3rd party software, you might want to try going through your apps and trying to figure out which one might be causing the issue. Hope this works.
the thing is these dots on the pictures only show up in games and on chrome it never happend on desktop

Attachments

Tanis

Shane
Can you also download and install Asus Suite 3, would be good to see what your temperatures are like, and also what your 12v, 5v and 3.3v power rails show.

If you are only seeing this in some applications then it is more than likely a software issue. Are all your drives fully up to date? These should be done manually by downloading the updates directly from the manufacturers site. Don't use a 3rd party app or relying on Windows to do it for you.

I assume you have NVidia GeForce Experience etc all installed which will notify of driver updates?

Tjoms

Can you also download and install Asus Suite 3, would be good to see what your temperatures are like, and also what your 12v, 5v and 3.3v power rails show.

If you are only seeing this in some applications then it is more than likely a software issue. Are all your drives fully up to date? These should be done manually by downloading the updates directly from the manufacturers site. Don't use a 3rd party app or relying on Windows to do it for you.

I assume you have NVidia GeForce Experience etc all installed which will notify of driver updates?
yes nvidia notify me when there is new drivers and got the newest one :) i hope i send the right pictures

Attachments

Tanis

Shane
Yes they look OK. Didn't suspect an issue there but always worth checking.

Does this happen as soon as you start a game or does it come up after a bit of time?

Can you show us the temperatures section of Asus AI Suite? Take a screenshot of it when the PC is idle at the desktop. Then run a stress test like OCCT on the GPU and screenshot while that test is running.

Tjoms

Does this happen as soon as you start a game or does it come up after a bit of time?

Can you show us the temperatures section of Asus AI Suite? Take a screenshot of it when the PC is idle at the desktop. Then run a stress test like OCCT on the GPU and screenshot while that test is running.
it appear whenever but heres the pics and vram error dunno how to check whats the error tho

Attachments

Tjoms

sry this is the stress test

Attachments

That happens to me sometimes. Either it's the computer screen that you need to renew or it's just a glitch that will go in moments. (My experience)

Tanis

Shane
sry this is the stress test
Thanks, roughly how long was that test going at the time of the screenshot? I notice the GPU temps were still rising a little on the graph. its not out of spec at the time of the screenshot so probably not a major issue.

Also, did you get any dots during the stress test?

Might be worth running Memtest86 to check the RAM in detail. You only need the free version, not Pro and this will take a bit of time to complete :)
MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 and ARM Memory Testing Tool

I would also suggest updating Windows. Build 19041 is a year old now and there have been two releases since then.

Tjoms

Thanks, roughly how long was that test going at the time of the screenshot? I notice the GPU temps were still rising a little on the graph. its not out of spec at the time of the screenshot so probably not a major issue.

Also, did you get any dots during the stress test?

Might be worth running Memtest86 to check the RAM in detail. You only need the free version, not Pro and this will take a bit of time to complete :)
MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 and ARM Memory Testing Tool

I would also suggest updating Windows. Build 19041 is a year old now and there have been two releases since then.
no dots while testing for 5min and updated windows yesterday :) i will do the ram test and come back!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online