1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

weird disappearances

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bdcooley, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdcooley

bdcooley Thread Starter

Something weird is happening to my computer. 1.) My recycle bin has disappeared. 2.) My Add/Remove Programs is only showing about 5 things and I don't recognize 4 of them.

I've just recently ran Ad-Aware and I think it deleted the spyware and the trojan it found. It showed "Deleting files" and but never told me it was complete.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    BDCooley

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

What are some of the items listed in Add/Remove?

If Ad-Aware was hanging at deletion, it may have never completed.

Get Hijack This: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Make sure it's downloaded to a permanent folder of your creation on the hard drive.
    Launch it, hit Scan, then Save Log
    Open the log you saved
    Copy & paste the log into this thread

Do not attempt to fix anything yet

3. bdcooley

bdcooley Thread Starter

I ran Hijack THis and my brother-in-law helped me work that out. He's a computer man. But he's also very busy. So I'll ask you all this. After running and cleaning with Hijack This, alot of the stuff is gone. There are a few more things left and it's being analyzed right now. But, now there is other stuff going on. All of my desktop icons are gone. All I have is the page with the windows logo (for the icon). Also, I cannot double click anything and get it to work. I have to go to properties and his the Find Target button to get to an icon that will get me to my program. I am also getting several messages that say alot of my stuff is not a valid Win32 application.

I ran a virus scan last night and it found and deleted the Downloader trojan. I can't remember the entire name.

Can anyone figure this out?

Thanks, Beth

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!