1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

weird DNS or IP problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sonicdude, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sonicdude

sonicdude Thread Starter

First off, my system is very clean. Win98 is up-to-date, no spyware, viruses, no reg problems, current drivers, system configurations correct, etc.

The problem I am having is that I often cannot access some websites or servers that the prior day I was able to access. Yet all other sites are fine. I am using a cable internet connection.

For example, some of my hosting accounts I cannot access (either web, pop3, ftp), but I can surf pretty much any other sites. Yet the day before I could access these sites. At first I thought it was simply some downage with my hosting provider. But when I am at a site that I cannot get into, I can call a friend and at the same time he has no problem. Or.... I can immediately disconnect my cable connection and use a dial-up modem connection and then I have no problems getting into those sites. So I know it has nothing to do with my hosting provider. Also, I called my cable ISP and they said there were having no DNS problems on their end.

Hope I am explaining it accurately.

There is something going on with my ethernet DNS I think. So I tried this.... I ran "winipcg" (IP configuration) on my computer. Settings seemed to be fine. So I clicked on "release all", then "renew all".... then suddenly I can access the sites in question!! BUT... after a few minutes, I cannot again! So I run winipcg again and do it again. Works fine for a few minutes, then goes down. Again, when it goes down, it only prevents access to CERTAIN sites, but pretty much every other website I can access is fine.

Something seems to be effecting my IP situation or internal DNS. When I try to access my hosting accounts and they are not accessable from my computer, it's annoying to have to go through this "release all, renew all" ritual every few minutes.

Anybody aware of this problem and how to resolve it?

I should add something. I've turned off my firewall so I don't feel it's that. Also, if I go to the sites using my hosting IP address version, I can access them without problems. For example:

http://www.coastzone.com < cannot access
    http://205.234.132.6/~coastzon/ < can access without problems

Yet they are both the same site.

Thank you kindly

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    If the URL doesn't work but the IP does then it's obviously a DNS problem. Even though they say they're not having DNS problems, I wouldn't take that as gospel.

Do you connect through a proxy server? Have you checked to see what's in your Hosts file? Not the Hosts.sam file but the Hosts file that exists with no file extension as part of the name.

3. sonicdude

sonicdude Thread Starter

My ISP swears nothing is wrong with their DNS. Not sure how I can push them further when they say things are fine from their end.

No, I do not connect through a proxy server.

The only thing listed in my hosts file is: 127.0.0.1 localhost

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Are you still having the same problem? Just wondering if it resolved itself before we go any further ...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice