1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

weird glitch in windows explorer under vista?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Earthafire, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthafire

Earthafire Thread Starter

I don't recall ever having this problem before under previous windows incarnations. I was deleting a lot of particular files tonight when this happened.

In windows explorer I have a column for "date created" as it sometimes makes it easier to search for a file I want to work with. I had the folder sorted by just that and a file selected and then I switched to "name" as I wanted to delete all the files that started with the name of that file. The file I selected was still highlighted and then I scrolled down and hit shift to select them all. It all seemed to work right but unbeknownst to me every file above that first one was also selected and I sent 111 gigs to the recycle bin, well sorta. Actually 23 gigs went to the recycle bin and the rest were plain deleted. I still have my "are you sure" warnings come up but the one that I have seen under other windows versions " this is too big for the recycle bin" never did and now most of those files are lost.

I have played with this and it looks to me that explorer remembers where the "selection" in the list was before I switch how the files are sorted and even though the sort gets changed when you select multiple files with "shift" it selects all the files from the original file position before sort was changed to the secondary selected file.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Explorer obviously knows what file was selected originally as it stays highlighted after changing the sort.

If anyone has any insight into this illogical functioning I would appreciate it.

As an aside I immediately restored all I could from the recycle bin and am using an undelete product to try to restore what else I can. Strangely the software reports that fully half of the deleted files have been overwritten and cant be restored. These files were on a usb harddrive and so that drive doesn't have anything writing to it normally.

TIA
    Steve

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Though I see your point, it makes no sense to me that someone would make a file selection and then sort the files. That seems like a confusing and illogical thing to do. It is very easy to mis-select files even under normal circumstances, so why would someone then resort the files, scattering all the selected ones through the new list?

Deletion from external drives and USB's is not carried out quite the same way as deletion from a permanent drive. In order for the deleted items to appear in the system Recycler, they need to be copied from the external to the internal drives. With a USB drive, they are moved and the space on the drive released, which makes sense since there is not enough space to play around with and there isn't sufficient space for a Recycle Bin and file storage simultaneously.

But the files are probably still recoverable if the right software is used. Your recovery should focus on the internal drive and not the USB since that is where the files last were located.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice