1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird IE problem in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alman, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alman

Alman Thread Starter

I have 2 user accounts on this computer. Mine has admin priveledges, the one my family uses is limited. All has been well until now. In my account IE works perfectly, but in the other one, it doesn't. What happens is that when you go to google for example, and type something in the query box and hit the search button, absolutely nothing happens. If you right click on "advanced search" and open it in a new window, it opens up completely blank except for the theme borders, menu, buttons etc. The address box is totally blank. You can click on other links on the google home page, and they work fine, and as mentioned before, it all works fine under my account. This all just started happening a week or so ago, and for the life of me, I can't figure out what, if anything, I have changed to cause this. I really don't want to reinstall windows, as I only have a 56K dialup, and all the updates are now current. I wish I knew a way to save those updates to migrate them to a fresh install so I don't have to spend 12 hours downloading them again. Any thoughts??

2. EvileYe

EvileYe

Not sure about your particular problem, however I can help you with windows updating !

Microsoft also has a service called Windows update catalogue which will allow you to download the updates to your computer so you can save them and install/re-install them without having to download each time.

Click Start, then navigate to Windows Update.

Under See Also , click Windows Update Catalogue.
    If you don't see the Windows Update Catalogue link, click Personalize Windows Update to see options for displaying it.

From here you can download your updates and save them for future use.

3. Alman

Alman Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip! I also must now apologize for posting this in the wrong forum, my bad, won't happen again, moderator feel free to move if neccessary......

4. xgerryx

xgerryx

EvileYe,
    Thats one very good tip.

Thank you

5. EvileYe

EvileYe

I just added this tip to the Tips & Tricks section also, as I am sure it will save some people a lot of wasted time.

6. Kazrath

Kazrath

This sounds like a busted windows scripting host.

Go into Help+about IE
    IF it doesnt show any version information then your overall problem is going to be a busted/damage windows scripting host

Then just go to MS website. in the download section search for WSH download the appropriate one for your os.

Good luck.

7. Alman

Alman Thread Starter

Checked the version info under both accounts, both identical, looks as it should be. I'm going to download that logger utility, Hijack this or whatever, and run it under the limited account and post it here.....

8. Alman

Alman Thread Starter

Ok, here it is.....

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
    Scan saved at 11:25:17 AM, on 9/29/2003
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTHELPER.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Utilities\AVG\avgcc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,Shellnext = "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\UTILIT~1\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FFFFFEF0-5B30-21D4-945D-000000000000} - C:\PROGRA~1\Internet\STARDO~1\SDIEInt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINDVDPatch] CTHELPER.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliType] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\Program Files\Utilities\AVG\avgcc32.exe /startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/swdir.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?37884.6825231481
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{FD5CB595-1F5E-4628-811C-C88A4C144544}: NameServer = 208.181.178.3 204.244.18.1

9. Kazrath

Kazrath

This is a stab in the dark.

Do you happen to have the Critical update for IE installed..
    I don't remember what the KB # is.. But I have ran into a few issues where this update caused some really wierd situations and removing it resolved the issue.

10. Alman

Alman Thread Starter

AFAIK all current updates are installed. Could you run update and see which one is flagged? That might jog your memory, please and thanks!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice