1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird internet connection Problem with routers.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tigernt, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tigernt

tigernt Thread Starter

I have two computers, sharing DSL by a wireless router, one is using cable to contact to the router, the other use USB wireless adapter, they both worked fine.

The wireless adapter was broken yesterday, so I want to connect second PC to my router with cable. However, IE and telnet doesn't work at all. I checked ip using "ipconfig", everything seems fine. I can ping my ip, but can not ping "www.yahoo.com".

However, one of the Online Chess Software installed in my commputer can connect outside, i can use it play chess online, but IE doesn't work. Now the computer is a chess playing only machine.:(

The first computer are perfect, those two are both using windows XP. What's wrong with my networking. :( Thanks.

2. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

Check the DNS settings on the computer you just attached.

3. tigernt

tigernt Thread Starter

the DNS setting is "obtained automatically". Do I need to set it manully? the other computer is "DNS obtained automatically" and it works fine.

4. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

Sorry, I don't know then.

5. 5mi11er

5mi11er

You say you can ping your IP. The IP of the other computer, or itself? What are the outputs of ipconfig on the two machines? Is there any chance that the router's firewall is configured differently regarding wireless vs wired connections? (Chess shouldn't be working if IE isn't; only a filtering type function would be able to do that...).

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice