Solved Weird issue when trying to backup iPhone to iCloud

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cuttlefish

Ian
When I check my iPhone Max XS backups to iTunes, it inevitably shows "Your phone has never been backed up to iCloud" but as soon as I attempt this it does appear to work as the line directly below this message instantly changes to "Today (time) to this computer" so they tend to conflict with each other.

The backup to my PC also works fine but what is weird is that when I attempt the iCloud backup, that simultaneously changes to "to this computer" selection as well. It's almost like checking the iCloud button is not working...........

I've uninstalled/reinstalled iTunes, have the latest updates and the sync process works fine. Just annoying that I can't clear the offending iCloud message!

I've swapped genuine lightning cables, changed USB ports but all to no avail!

Attachments

Last edited:

Couriant

James
How about checking your phone itself:

You can check the progress and confirm the backup completed. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup. If it's off, then that would make sense. If it's not off, then you can click on it and see the last time it was synced to the cloud.

If it shows a recent date, I would say ignore the message in iTunes.

cuttlefish

Ian
Thanks for that! I have been doing the iPhone cloud backups and although I’m 99.999% positive they work, I think as you say it’s just a minor glitch in iTunes!

Couriant

James
And to confirm the apple ID in iTunes is the same for your phone?

cuttlefish

Ian
Yep, identical! I double checked and the sync and backup from my iPhone thence to the cloud is definitely working so maybe a false message in iTunes?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Have you checked on your iPhone to see if it’s been backed up to iCloud?
Settings>Click on your name>Click on the iPhone & choose iCloud backup>backup now.
It may be that iTunes is backing up to the PC & not iCloud.

Couriant

James
Maybe the only other possible reason is that you need to do the icloud backup while connected to iTunes... I don't see any option to do a backup to icloud within iTunes but there is a setting, which i assume configures the iPhone for.

cuttlefish

Ian
Thanks for the replies and suggestions folk, much appreciated!

I uninstalled iTunes - that I hate soooo much - reinstalled it, updated it, did a hard reset of my iPhone, checked IOS was up to date, cloud all set up correctly and found the identical problem remained in the aforementioned iTunes message.

Back into the depths of the iPhone settings. forced a BACKUP to iCloud and instantly the iTunes message disappeared and confirmed the backup had been done! Why and how this fixed it I have no idea as I had tried this on numerous attempts before, anyhow all good now and marked SOLVED, thanks again!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online