1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Weird Issue

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Wriggs, Sep 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wriggs

Wriggs Thread Starter

Hello,

So today I was on my computer all morning. I was playing a game, checking email, surfing the web, etc. I often multitask with no issues. As I was switching between windows I accidentally clicked on netflix. No big deal, and as soon as the window opened up, I closed it. A few seconds later my screen went completely green. I tried alt-tabbing thinking it had something to do with netflix, but to no avail. I simply became impatient and held the power button in to shut it down. Pressed the button again to boot it back up but I now have no picture. I've tried rebooting quite a few times now. First few times it shows the motherboard logo when booting but nothing after that, and now it isn't even showing that anymore.

I'm not a pro, but very fluent with computers and I built my current rig myself. EVGA motherboard, power supply, ram and CPU cooler. GTX 1070TI graphic card.

Any suggestions please? I'd really appreciate some help.

Thanks!

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Reset your CMOS....just pull out your CMOS battery for 5 minutes and replace and boot up.

3. Wriggs

Wriggs Thread Starter

That didn't work. I have a reset button on my motherboard for the cmos so I've held it for 30 seconds and now waiting 15 mins to reinstall battery. I'm assuming to do this with the power cord disconnected? I've tried with it connected but it automatically boots once I let go of the reset button.

4. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    It could be many things at this point. Since you said your screen went green, I would suspect your video card, monitor or cable. Make sure that everything is plugged in well, and maybe test the display on another PC if you have one on hand. If you know the monitor & cable are good, try a different video card if you can. Otherwise, you could be looking at a busted Power supply or Motherboard.
    Always start with simple and cheap (loose cables) and work your way down to expensive and rare (Dead motherboard) . Power supplies are cheaper than GPU's.

5. Wriggs

Wriggs Thread Starter

I read on another forum that the motherboard will go to A2 code if the cmos was reset and to hit F1 to skip bios setup or F12 to go into setup. I hit F1 and it went past A2 and is now showing a cpu temperature of 31° C which seems really low when it’s usually around 37° to 38°. Still shows nothing on my screen (I have it plugged into my TV via HDMI) and if I press the power button it shuts off immediately without having to hold the button in. Guess I'll have to take it in somewhere and have it checked out.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try uninstalling NetFlix.

7. Wriggs

Wriggs Thread Starter

So I have video back but it says there is no operating system found. Umm, what? How did that happen? From something I did??

8. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    You need to check that your hard drive is plugged into both power and SATA .
    Your default Boot device may have changed, you would have to go into your BIOS to check on that.

9. Wriggs

Wriggs Thread Starter

Hard drive is plugged in, I unplugged my other two drives that don’t have windows but now it says ‘reboot and select proper boot device or insert media........’. I went into bios and it shows the right drive as the first boot device but still won’t boot into windows.

10. Wriggs

Wriggs Thread Starter

Here’s a couple pics of the bios. It shows that the adata drive as option 1 but in boot override it shows the disk drive p9 and adata drive p0. Is that right? 7E49E9A2-CE7A-4713-B560-F73574084C7F.jpeg BC4EBE42-4908-47F0-BA21-BCD5332E42E2.jpeg

11. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Try changing the boot mode from Legacy to the other option (I am guessing AHCI)

12. Wriggs

Wriggs Thread Starter

BDC040F3-0A5B-478A-823C-CAA5ECBA2CE0.jpeg
    Thanks! That allowed windows to start booting but now it's hanging on this screen. And I noticed it's 'on top' of a full green screen like what I originally saw.

13. Wriggs

Wriggs Thread Starter

I rebooted it via the power button and after the initial motherboard logo there's no image again. So I'm right back to square one. Hmm.

14. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    If you can get back into your BIOS, you can try finding "Safe" defauts. You may even try Underclocking your system just to get it running.
    I would not rule out some kind of damage on the MB, but perhaps it can all be resolved with BIOS settings.
    You can also try Optimised defaults.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  15. Wriggs

Wriggs Thread Starter

I actually JUST got it into safe mode and it's working in safe mode. What should I look for? Delete files I recently downloaded? Could a virus have caused this?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice