Weird latency issues after a power outage

hoteret

Hello everyone!

So a couple of days ago a tow truck threw the power out of my entire block. When the power came back, I started having this weird issue where my gaming PC would consistently every couple of minutes would get a half-a-second lag spike. I would be playing games and every once in a while it would just simply have a lag spike and then continue normally with its normal average of 200 fps.

I assumed it would've been a RAM issue (I've seen similar things on other PCs in the past). So I bought new RAM and installed it, by replacing it from the ones I had before, but the problem persisted.

A friend of mine that owns an XPS told me that sometimes Killer Control Center might produce this issues and told me to install LatencyMon to detect latency. The app shows in the "Highest Reported ISR" to be the "dxgkrnl.sys" and the Highest DPC to be "nvlddmkm.sys", but no network (for him, he told me that ndis.sys would be the reported offender.

Still, trying new things, I disabled my network card (it's a desktop, so I only had a I-218V ethernet card, no wifi) but no luck.

What seems to have worked is built-in graphics. I swapped from my GTX 1080 to my built in graphics from Intel and I don't see the lag spikes, so I bought a new graphics card (the RTX 2080 Super), installed it, and.... Still lags :(

The only thing I did a week before the power outage was to change the CPU cooler (and took the opportunity to put new thermal paste in the CPU) but the computer ran well for over a week.

I'm out of ideas, some people said the power supply might be broken, but if that would be the case wouldn't it just prevent the computer from even booting? I could buy a new power supply but at this rate it seems I should buy an entirely new computer. Now I also don't know if my RAM is even wrong to begin with -- I might connect it to another computer and run a test from Memtest86 and see from there.

Someone suggested to update the bios and I did that, twice actually: once to go to the latest stable version and another one to go to a beta version of my bios. None fixed the issue.

Any ideas? Is there any software or hardware tool I can buy to see where the problem might be? Someone suggested a Windows suite to troubleshoot these hiccups but I wouldn't even know how to read it.

Also, if you can spare a minute, I can definitely pay for help. Where I live, unfortunately, there are very bad technicians which will just reinstall your OS (which I did -- twice) or simply say they can't find anything wrong and just leave by charging their hourly rate.

Here's latencymon output:

Hello, I believe resetting CMOS should resolve the problem.
You gave no details on your hardware so this are general instructions, please consult your hardware manuals.

WARNING: Performing actions recommended by third-party vendors can result in improper operation, damage to the board or processor, or reduced product life.
You may find bellow link useful, so please read:
why-did-resetting-cmos-fix-my-computer?

For general information see:
How to Clear CMOS to Reset BIOS Settings in Systems with Intel® Desktop Boxed Processors?

hoteret

Hello zebanovich,

I tried what you suggested with no luck. Any other idea? If you need any information, I'm happy to provide it.

You said you have "Weird latency issues"

How do these latency issues manifest them self?
What problems do you experience with your computer?

The log you attached doesn't look like there is a hardware problem.

hoteret

I fixed it btw, but let me respond to your questions:

How do these latency issues manifest them self?
What problems do you experience with your computer?
When playing games or browsing internet, the computer will randomly stutter or lag (more on the "randomly" later). In games it would be more evident because of the graphics usage but in the browser it will make audio stutter or video.

It turns out it wasn't hardware related. I lstarted timing the latency / delays and I noticed that all are around the minute mark, give or take... So I googled it and it seems I'm not alone, several users reported the same issue.It seems that the last Windows update changed how the background wallpaper works. In my case, and even my +1's case, both computers were set to use a Windows theme that has a wallpaper refresh every 1 minute.

Setting it to never change fixes the issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts