1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird network problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by darker246, Dec 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darker246

darker246 Thread Starter

Recently, my PC that uses WiFI adapter, started behaving really weird. My usual network speed is 10Mbps,but my PC is not going above 7 anymore. Also, it is extremely unstable. It works in one moment, than drops all the way down to Kbps i guess, for example, if i am playing online game, my ping was always about 20 ms, but sometimes i get huge ping spikes up to 1000 ms, or like huge ping "waves" that goes 200 to 1000 ms over a few minutes. Also, the worst thing is, my other devices like my tablet and smartphone, are practically useless close to PC, their network is ultra slow. But if i go away from my PC, like 5 meters, it is fine... please help. Also, i am a advanced PC user so do not bother with some dumb suggestion. Thanks in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is your PC a desktop or laptop?

Do the other devices have any problem near the PC when the PC is powered off?

3. darker246

darker246 Thread Starter

It is a desktop and no, everything is fine when it is powered off.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Then my suspicion is that the PC's wireless adapter is defective or, if Bluetooth is being used with the PC the Bluetooth is interfering (it shouldn't, but there have been rare cases).

Of course there may be something else about the PC generating interference, so see if turning off/disconnecting any PC Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and adapters and see if the other devices have trouble with the PC on.

5. darker246

darker246 Thread Starter

Weirdly enough, even when i pull out adapter from USB slot, my phone WiFi is ultra slow but my data network is just fine...

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Are there any other devices besides your computer and phone using wifi?

7. darker246

darker246 Thread Starter

Of course. My family members phones and tablets, 6 of them, but all downstairs where the router is. I am the only one upstairs. But just a quick reminder, this started happening just recently, it worked fine for months before.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    By "data network" do you mean cellular data? Cellular uses far different frequencies than Wi-Fi does.

So, it seems that the PC's wireless adapter is not causing the problem. Either Bluetooth (if the PC uses) or some other component is generating a rogue frequency.

While talking about Bluetooth I overlooked the fact that there are wireless mice and keyboards that don't use Bluetooth. One of them, or the adapter, could be defective.

9. darker246

darker246 Thread Starter

Yes, cellular. And yes, i use wireless keyboard and mouse but it wasn't a problem before. And i just fixed the problem a minute ago, my router used auto channel which was always 1 and i set it to 10 and it works fine now. Phone and PC and everything.. i reinstalled my Windows for nothing... :(

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Exactly. You don't try a solve a problem by software (reinstalling Windows) when the problem might be hardware (router, wifi on device or wifi adapter).

Before you do anything, you get help to figure out if the problem is hardware or software. Less drastic steps are always done first.

11. darker246

darker246 Thread Starter

I know but i tried everything before and my PC did have some other issues too so it was worth it. Am just bothered that i have to download about 500 GB of games and movies all over again :)

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You need to learn how to make images.

I image about once a month (four computers). If something goes wrong, I restore an image and have at most a handful of updates to do - like browser, antimalware and av program, perhaps flash.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice