1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird noise on my laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by navybrat, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. navybrat

navybrat Thread Starter

Every once in a while at random times I hear this noise that sounds like a "chomping" sort to speak or a "boom" ish noise. Im running a Windows XP on a Dell XPS M1710 laptop. I use my laptop everyday I have had it for about 1 1/2-2 years
    Thanks in advanced

2. msgtgumby

msgtgumby

Can you tell which area of the laptop it's coming from?

3. navybrat

navybrat Thread Starter

I cannot I tried but I cant because its not like a LONG sound its kind of short so by the time i hear it its gone but Im guessing it might be coming from my sound card though I checked all my sound devises and they appear to be working well

4. navybrat

navybrat Thread Starter

It seems to get louder based on the volume (i.e. the sound is loud when my volume is loud, sound is soft when my volume is soft)

5. navybrat

navybrat Thread Starter

its coming from my speakers

6. msgtgumby

msgtgumby

First thing you could try is to uninstall your sound drivers and then reinstall them. If that doesn't help hook up some external speakers, see if they produce the noise. If they do not, the speakers on your laptop are going bad. If they do still have the background like noise, your sound card may be bad.

7. DellCA

DellCA Account Closed

Since the sound seems to be tied to the volume of your computer, it sounds to me (no pun intended ;)) like some sound event is happening that is playing those sounds. In the Control Panel open the Sound window and select the Sounds tab. That will list all of the different sound-events the system is configured for. Check through them to see if any are set to play the sounds you are hearing, and if they are you can easily change them to something else or disable them.

If that doesn't fix the problem let me know and I'll see what else it might be.

Larry
    Dell Customer Advocate

8. navybrat

navybrat Thread Starter

So I tried that and I also tried muting the cd audio sound idk why but someone said that might help and it went away for a while until I went to the DirectX off of microsoft to download another copy cause my comp siad that my screensaver wont play any more becuase the direct X copy I have isnt up to date (which it should be) but I went to that site and then I heard that sound like 2x and I was playing music and it wasnt up high but it wasnt quiet so the noise was kinda loud and it just went right over my music

9. navybrat

navybrat Thread Starter

So I tried that and I also tried muting the cd audio sound idk why but someone said that might help and it went away for a while until I went to the DirectX off of microsoft to download another copy cause my comp siad that my screensaver wont play any more becuase the direct X copy I have isnt up to date (which it should be) but I went to that site and then I heard that sound like 2x and I was playing music and it wasnt up high but it wasnt quiet so the noise was kinda loud and it just went right over my music

10. msgtgumby

msgtgumby

edit: nvm.

11. navybrat

navybrat Thread Starter

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice