1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird- NTVDM.exe doesn't want to start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Meto, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meto

Meto Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have a strange problem again.

I need to install a 16bit application on my XP computer. When I tried to install it, nothing happens. I opened the task manager and I saw that ntvdm.exe starts and right after that disappears. I thought that something is wrong with the installation and I tried to install the program on another XP system. Everything went just fine. Then I decided to run it under MS virtual PC and win 98. Windows 98 didn't wanted to be installed and it is generating an error message.

I went completely insane and re-installed the Windows XP (we are using XP Sp2 corporate license and the MS Windows version is the same on all of the computers in the office). Again the same situation. I tried running different 16 bit apps , but as I expected they all didn't want to start. I tried installing win98 on the second partion (formated as FAT 32), but again it generated errors and the setup was interrupted.

Is there any chance the hardware to be the problem? The computer is P4 2.3 Gigs, 1G DDR2 RAM, 80Gigs Maxtor storage and Intel D820 MB.

P.S Forgot to mention that I installed .net framework 2.0 and windows installer 3.2(I think or 3.1 ).
    Any other ideas are welcome.
    Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice