Weird phone call from Windows Support Center?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wilbur

Okay, this is just weird....
.... phone rings, call display shows up as UNKNOWN, I was expecting another phone survey or something but before I hang up I figure I'd at least see wgo it is. He asks for me by name then says he's from the "Windows Support Center" or something like that. I can tell he's at a call center in India or something, poor phone connection, I can hear other people in the back ground.

He says our computer is sending out error messages every time we're on the web or something like that, might be from a virus or some kinda windows errors. We have 5 computers, I think I'm clever by asking him which one he's talking about and he replies "the one running Windows 7".

Okay, so I'm skeptical, but figure I'll see where this foes.

So he asks me to run EVENTVWR on that computer which brings up a "even viewer: window, he asks me to look under WINDOWS LOGS - APPLICATIONS and read to him what the sources are, he asks me how many there is etc. I tell them there are hundreds, he asks for the sources and gives me some kinda techno talk as to what's causing that error.
Then he asks what the sources are for the ones marked in yellow as a warning, get more techno talk.

Next he asks me to run WWW.SUPPORT.ME which brings up a "support connection" window "powered byLogMeIn ". It asks for a 6 digit code which he gives me. Now I don't know what to expect, for all I know this will open something up and I tell him I don't know if I can believe him. He says "up to you" so I hang up.
So what the hell was this?

Here's the link to the LogMeIn website, anyone heard of them?
https://secure.logmein.com/

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
LogmeIn is a reputable company but scammers can use their services to rip you off. This was completely a scam phone call and has been going around for a few months now.

Yes, MS does not phone you and offer support for your computer. Here's an article from Microsoft Online Privacy & Safety When he said "The one with Windows 7 on it" I would have said "I don't have Windows 7 I use Windows XP" Who the %$^ are you anyway! The chances are good he would have hangup on you.

You went further than you should have, but hung up in time.

Even if there were a perfectly flawless operating system (of which none exist), call centers would still be busy with people who don't know how to do something or who found new ways to mess up their machines. None of them solicits new problems by calling people who have not even complained.

SUEOHIO

SUE
we try to be as safe as we can on the internet and avoid scams, spam, viruses,etc now we have to be afraid of the phone from scammers.this is truly scary stuff to worry about.i find this disturbing that people would even do this to someone.lances answer did make me laugh tho. years ago when i was as green as green about computers i was on windows 98 and i got the big shouting red x that said an illegal operation has been performed and must shut down. i thought omg what did i do? the police are going to arrest me. i called my son and he said mom calm down its just a glitch in the computer. boy did i feel stupid. lol!if MS isnt calling all of the dimwits using illegal copies of any version of windows they arent going to call us and worry about our computers running right thats for sure. next time report them and tell them off.

LogMeIn is a good & safe program. At least as the person running it. I've used LogMeIn Free with 256bit encryption to remote control repair friends computers for few years.

That deal he was trying was LogMeIn Rescue program.
My guess is that he already had his computer set up and once you entered that code, he gained control of your computer. Good thing you didn't do it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online