Weird problem with FTP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JaydR

HI there,

I encountered this weird problem with my FTP traffic. I just installed XP on my system. But when I use FTP (I tried 3 programs: WSFTP, 3DFTP and CuteFTP) it really behaves unregular. It tends to stop my download after a few second. So it initially starts the download normally, but then after a few seconds (5 - 20) it just stops. But then again, sometimes it doesn't and completes the download.

HTTP traffic works fine.

I am connected through a server running sygate manager, which is connected trough a USB ADSL modem (but I changed nothing there, and this worked fine with win2k)

Oh yeah, I installed a new LAN card cause XP didn't like the old one. But ths couldn;t be the problem right, cause http etc. works fine??

Appreciate any comments!

Thanks.

J.

JaydR

Thanks in advance!

But no alas, it doesn't...

I tried downloading several files... no result... I donnot run any firewalls... I can connect normally to any FTP server, i get all the DIR-listings I want... but oh no downloading it too much to ask...

Very annoying cause I backed up my data on an FTP server, which is realy handy after a re-install of my computer...

any more suggestions??

Thanks!

JaydR

Maybe this sounds stupid, but could it have something to do with my duplex settings of my LAN card???

J.

JaydR

:p

It was, after all, my LAN-card... stupid thing buuged while downloading through FTP. Very hard to trace such errors... it seems to work perfectly... but after thorough testing it apears the opposite.

So: DONT BUY the LANCARD of sweex essentials...
these designers need to get rid of their dipers and learn to test their stuff before putting it on the market...

(too bad they are dutch... like I am...) LOL...

Cheers!

J.

I really doubt I would ever try a NIC made by any company named Sweex. Stick with name brand stuff like 3Com, Netgear and Linksys. Is your FTP server running on XP on a non standard FTP port other than 21?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online