1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird problem with scanner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by naproxen, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. naproxen

naproxen Thread Starter

I've got a scanner which upon plugging in causes the computer to shut itself down automatically and immediately. I've ruled out other causes and this is definitely the problem. Does anyone know have a solution for it (apart from not using the scanner, which I figure is plan Z). My operating system is Windows XP and the scanner is Canoscan Lide 20 (although I doubt it's a problem with the scanner itself). Thanks!

2. Larryboy

Larryboy

If you plug in the scanner while the computer is off, and then you turn the computer on, will the computer boot?

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Often that can be an electrical instability feeding back to the computer. Does it happen no matter which port is used? If the drivers have become corrupt then a similar device plugged into the same port should trigger the same response. You can try pulling all USB-attached devices, delete the USB drivers and buses (the works) from device manager and reboot and allow them to install again which may help if its not self preservation by the computer to prevent catastrophy from stray voltage.

4. arknorth

arknorth

Also, is the computer a laptop or a desktop? If a desktop, are you plugging into the front or back USBs?

The LiDE 20 is a USB-powered scanner - it came with a special USB cable, and even though it doesn't actually need this cable, they do tend to work better with it (special shielding and such). Also, if this is a desktop, make sure that you are plugging it into the BACK USBs over the front, as they guarantee to provide power to the unit. It can bee this power issue that can cause problems with LiDEs.

Also, again, if this is a desktop, if the USBs are 1.0 and not 2.0, this can also cause problems.

A-N

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice