Solved Weird problem with tp link wifi usb adapter

So an existing working device doesn't work when moved to the 'ideal' spot for your new adapter. Either it is a dead spot behind turns and corners or I think your neighbor's routers are overpowering yours.

PrancerTran

i don't think its got anything to do with the positioning here. why doesn't the neighbours network overpower my phones hotspot ?

They can't over power a hotspot because the hotspot is movable and can be placed right beside the receiving device.

Get a $100-$150 router. They should do Mimo, which as I understand it, can receive multiple copies of the same signal bounced around walls and corners and work with the best signal.

If you have a large house then get a mesh network. These do away with the need for repeaters.

PrancerTran

looking for a solution with current setup. this thing did work in the start. dont know why the issue now. cant quite get my head around the fact that this is not workinf due to other people having wifi in my bldg. i mean thats the case almost everywhere.

From the limited knowledge I know about channels: WiFI has about 12/13 channels. Each router is set to broadcast in one only. Now if all your neighbors crowd around channels 2 and 3 and 4. Then you can avoid congestion by choosing channel 6, for example. You can look it up on Google: "Wifi channel". I don't know if this is relevant.

There are A/AC adapters that will only recognize control channels at the bottom of the list. I had one that could see 2.4 GHz but only randomly saw 5 GHz. Control channel was one of my first thoughts on this case, but I was out of the house getting a fresh hot Dunkin Donuts coffee.

While I understand you want to stay with the TP Link USB dongle, it is worth pointing out that your Netgear router supports 5 GHz. If you moved to a USB device that supports dual-band wireless, you can hop on the 5 GHz band and get away from the chatter of the neighbors. 5 GHz signals don't travel as far and their signal falls off quickly when you start going through walls. You're likely to see a lot less signal from neighbors.

PrancerTran

thats the point.. i never faced an issue with the same router and a previous usb 2.4 ghz adapter then why should this one have an issue. i highly doubt its got anything to do with the channels and/or with the bands.. because another usb adapter attached to another pc works just fine at 2.4ghz .. that one also doesnt support 5ghz.. not to mention it doesnt make sense to make an extra purchase when i have already paid for this.. hence require a solution

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts