1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird restrictions and event id 1030

Discussion in 'Networking' started by princessbonjella, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. princessbonjella

princessbonjella Thread Starter

Hi, I hope someone out there can shed a little light on this situation as it's doing my nut in!

We have a network with 3 Windows 2003 servers and workstations all with XP. When the users log in a script runs which maps network drives and pushes printer connections etc. Also we have several group policies set which restrict pupils and staff in certain ways. Nothing drastic though. Just 'Cant see certain Control Pannel Items etc'.

Now all was working perfectly until a couple of weeks ago 2 staff members came to me and said "I can't get on the interenet or e-mail". I had a look and when they logged in on their normal computer it seemed to log in fine but then receieved a couple of "Cannot perform this action due to restrictions on effect on this computer" messages. This message also appears when they try to click on the Internet for example. On closer inspection it has run the scripts ok because I have the shared drives and printers. But the virus scanner which is sophos in our case hasn't loaded (it comes down from the server), also there is no All Programs in the start menu, or shut down.

If I log off and check the event viewer I have event 1030 there which refers to an error with group policy.

Now the most annoying problem is it appears completly random with it's timing. Usually a shut down and restart of the computer fixes it. Moving to another computer can also fix it. It dosent always do it on the same computers, other peolpe can log on to the problem computer fine, and they can most times!

I have been down the refresh the users profile router to no avail.

Has anyonoe got any ideas?

Any would be greatly receieved.

Paula

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/773553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice