1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird screen when I restart, would like to get rid of it.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by SonoInc, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SonoInc

SonoInc Thread Starter

When I restart my computer black screen comes up and has a cursor flashing, like in notepad, and it doesn't go away for about 20 minutes, sometimes never, so i have to cut the power to my computer and restart again for it not to show up.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. new tech guy

new tech guy

Check and see if there is a cd in the disc drive. If there are no disks/memory cards in removable drives it sounds like bios is acting funny. try resetting the bios and tell us if there is luck.

3. SonoInc

SonoInc Thread Starter

What are bios? How do I reset them?

4. new tech guy

new tech guy

The BIOS is the read only part of your system that basically detects all of your hardware and sets up system conitions right before windows begins to load and connects the Operating system to the system hardware. Every system is different but usually the bios is the first screen that is black with white text or will display the system manufacturer on it. If you look either on the top or bottom left of the screen it will tell you how to access SETUP...usually F2 or somthing like that. Check your system manual for more information on how to access setup. In there it may either have an option in it to reset the bios to factory defaults or if you cannot find that, you can also remove the BIOS battery on the motherboard (the small metal thing that looks like a coin). If you remove that too for a moment and then reinsert it into its proper place you can also clear the bios. Just when you reset it do not forget to do things like set the clock or any other personal settings you may have in it. This all can be done from the setup menus. Good luck.

5. SonoInc

SonoInc Thread Starter

Thanks for your help, but I don't want to screw around with that, parents might get angry, haha.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd be considering some disk diagnostics too, it could be a sign that the disk is going south. Spyware/malware scans would also be on my list.

7. new tech guy

new tech guy

You really will not hurt the system as stated before, keep track of what changes you make and you should not hurt anything. The most straightforward strategy would just be to pull out the cmos battery for a moment, then reconnect it (power is off during this process) and then reconnect it. Usually to access the battery there is not much more to it than opening a side maintenance panel of the system up. However Johnwill's statements could also be true. But to add to it i would also load up a windows disc, enter recovery console and re write the master boot record plus the bootsector of the drive. They could be flaky too.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice