1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird SMC router problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Pancho, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pancho

Pancho Thread Starter

I have the SMC 7004AWBR router. I am having problems with the router locking up from time to time. Some nights it happens once, others it may happen once every hour. My network is as follows.

DSL -> 7004 -> 10/100 + 802.11

It doesn't seem like a DSL issue since the modem never loses sync. Also the PC's never indicate a loss of the network conection and if I am on the 10/100 wire, the status light on the router never indicates a loss of connection. The problem is that everything I may be doing will stop working. My online game will lose connection, I run teamspeak and that freezes up and disconnects. My instant messaging dies, web browser hangs too. The only way I can fix it is to unplug the router from power and then plug it back in. (there isnt a reset button that I am aware of) This is starting to cause me a lot of hassle as I use my connection to play games like DAOC, UO, etc. The disconnects can cause me a lot of problems as they sometimes occur at very inopporune times. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can figure out what is going on? I am about to just trash the router and go buy a new one.

Pancho

2. ozegirl

ozegirl

I had a similar problem - my internet connection would inexplicably stop - some sites, first, then more, then couldn't get on anything. Reset the router and everything fine again. This happened over a period of a few days.

I found an update for my network card was due & downloaded that. Since then (fingers xxxx) things have worked as normal again.

3. ozegirl

ozegirl

Something else to check would be to connect directly to your DSL without the router just to eliminate problems other than the router as the cause

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I had a problem like this with a SMC router, the 7004AWBR, it happened every couple of weeks. I'd go in and check status, and it would say I was connected, but I wasn't. Resetting the router would get everything going again.

A firmware upgrade fixed this problem for me.

5. Pancho

Pancho Thread Starter

I finally got a response from SMC too. They mailed me new firmware and it seems like the problem has gotten better. I haven't had to reset my router much at all in the last week or so. Thanks for the replies.

Pancho

6. 10forcash

10forcash

Power supply problems (mains not DC) can also cause problems with having to reset / reboot this particular router, as can microwave interference, if you have a UPS, try powering the router from that instead
    Cheers,
    10forcash

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice