1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

weird sound problems

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by DocStrange, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DocStrange

DocStrange Thread Starter

Hi, I've been having a bit of a problem with my computer's sound for about two weeks.

my music will sometimes sound a bit distorted or lower quality or quieter or louder than it should be. The two big problems are the lower quality thing and the quieter/louder thing.

I use Windows 2000 and I plug my headphones directly into the headphone jack, not the speakers. In fact, I replugged in my old speakers and I still have that problem.

This same problem affected my Windows XP computer that I have some of my music on as well for about a week, but the problem seems to have disappeared from that computer as suddenly as it came.

I initially thought it was a problem with WinAMP - which I had recently re-installed due to an unrelated problem - which is why I asked this question on the Winamp forum. They couldn't figure out my problem: my HijackThis log came up clean, Avast!, AdvancedSystemCare, MalwareBytes and Spybot found nothing wrong with my system. After a near extensive discussion of everything it could possibly be in WinAMP with a few of the mods, one of them directed me here instead, because it doesn't look like WinAMP's the problem because the problem still shows up in WMP.

It wouldn't be my sound card, because why would it affect my XP computer at all? It's not my headphones because I tested out three other pairs, including a brand new pair, and the problem's still there.

Granted, it's not as terrible as it was last week, but its still there.

I understand that my computer and OS are badly out of date, but this doesn't seem to be a problem involving the age of my system at all. Until two weeks ago, everything was A-OK with my sound.

2. BillVB

BillVB

I would advise that you try and search for the drivers for your audio board or the devices you plug in. It could also be a problem with the socket you are plugging the devices into. Try using a different socket as well as the drivers.

I'm pretty sure that it will take you many-a-page of Googleing for you to find the drivers for your system, because of its age.

3. DocStrange

well the problem persists/persisted in both the back speaker jack (where I used to plug my headphones in) and the front headphones jack by the USB slots.

As I said, I don't think this is an internal problem, considering that this happened on my newer Windows XP system as well.

4. BillVB

BillVB

This is a tricky one...

Are you trying to play the same audio tracks?

If yes, what format are they in?

5. DocStrange

this music is in MP3 and WMA. The WMA stuff, which is mostly in 96kbps and is ripped from CDs, seems completely fine, as does most of my 256kbps and higher files and my V0 bitrate files.

After the problem stopped on my XP system and I transfered some music from my 2000 system to that one, it sounded OK on the XP system. Mind you, it doesn't sound as bad on my 2000 system as it did last week or the week before, but it's still kind of there. Especially the volume thing. Some songs sound quieter than I know they are - I go to turn up the volume in WinAMP and I notice that volume's at 100% (in Volume Control, my volume is the same as its always been).

6. BillVB

BillVB

I'm sorry, I have no idea of what the problem might be mate.

But, I will look into this a bit more for you, though, I have a friend who works in a recording studio, he'll probably know what is causing it.

Sorry I couln't be more help :(

7. DocStrange

Not your fault. It's a very, very strange problem. I've been using computers for 15 years and have had a music library on my computer for about 7 or 8 and i've never seen anything like this before.

8. BillVB

BillVB

Maybe the Audio File God is just angry with you. That's the only explaination I can offer you.

9. madisonn

madisonn

Hi Friend,
    Sounds more a computer problem than software. Can you post some hardware configuration here ? CPU and graphic card ?

Thanks,
    James

10. DocStrange

I don't know. If it was a hardware problem, how could it appear on two computers of different age and different OS whose only interaction with one another are files transferred on thumb drives, mp3 players and email? And how did it seemingly vanish from my XP and (very slowly) from my 2000 (it sounds better slowly every week).

Both computers share eight different software items that are similar: Avast!, Spybot, MalwareBytes, Mozilla Firefox, Winamp, Last.fm, MediaMonkey and AIM. All of which i had long before this problem began.

I have consulted Winamp and MediaMonkey's official forums, with Winamp helping me extensively with this problem, because I thought it was a problem with Winamp at first.

And as I said earlier, the problem is pretty much gone from my XP system and slowly going from my 2000 system. Which makes little sense at all.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice