1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird, sporadic permission errors between Vista and Windows Server!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mikesol, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikesol

mikesol Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I signed up specifically because I was told this place was great for helping people with really intractable problems.

I have a user, Markus, he's an engineer, and he likes folder structures. He's got a nice one set up on my server with very well-defined permissions for several groups for his engineering projects.

His computer: Core 2 Duo machine running Windows Vista, non-SP1.
    Server is a Dell PowerEdge running Server 2003 SP2 with all the latest updates.
    We are in a Windows 2003 domain which is running pretty smoothly.

Starting a few weeks ago, he has been having problems very sporadically where a file that has has been working with and saving frequently, in a directory he has full permissions to access, refuses to save over its previous incarnation.

To break that down: he'll be in Word, say, and he saves his file every fifteen minutes, and at some point it will refuse to save over the existing copy and it will instead pop up the Save As box. Happens in Word, Illustrator, and Pro-E, so it's not program specific.

It ONLY happens for this user, none of the others. This means to me that it is either user-specific or OS-specific, as he's the only one running Vista, too.

Some of the programs will spit out an oddly-named file (like "a3bdfe8c") before giving the error. I assume that this is because the program is attempting to save the file and then write over the old one, in an attempt to make it an atomic operation. The save of the temporary file seems to succeed, but the overwrite of the old one fails.

First thing I did was to check the security permissions. He has full access from the top of the folder structure down. The folder structure is clean and new, it propagates permissions downward. It doesn't inherit the permissions of what's above it. Nothing special.

The effective permissions for the exact folder he is having the problem in show him to have full access. If you create a new file or rename a file in one of these folders, while logged in as him, there's no problem.

Next thing I did was to configure failure audit logging for access under his user account under his folder structure (from the root of it, the "PROJECTS" folder, downward).

He called me a short while ago because it failed again, and now I have log entries for you, censored of course:

Code:
    Event Type:	Failure Audit
    Event Source:	Security
    Event Category:	Object Access 
    Event ID:	560
    Date:		4/28/2008
    Time:		1:47:13 PM
    User:		COMPANYDOMAIN\UserName
    Computer:	AMP-APP01
    Description:
    Object Open:
     	Object Server:	Security
     	Object Type:	File
     	Object Name:	D:\CompanyName\Product Development\PROJECTS
    \232-00 - CompanyName - Membrane Switch Testing Process\Group Files
    \Design\Process\Procedures\QP-400-14-00 Membrane Switch DFT.doc
     	Handle ID:	-
     	Operation ID:	{0,501962817}
     	Process ID:	4
     	Image File Name:	
     	Primary User Name:	AMP-APP01$
     	Primary Domain:	COMPANYDOMAIN
     	Primary Logon ID:	(0x0,0x3E7)
     	Client User Name:	UserName
     	Client Domain:	COMPANYDOMAIN
     	Client Logon ID:	(0x0,0x1D7E7EEA)
     	Accesses:	DELETE 
    			READ_CONTROL 
    			ACCESS_SYS_SEC 
    			ReadData (or ListDirectory) 
    			ReadEA 
    			ReadAttributes 

Privileges:	-
     	Restricted Sid Count:	0
     	Access Mask:	0x1030089

For more information, see Help and Support Center at [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.[/url]

Now, someone tell me what I do next, I'm at a loss. It should all work!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/708383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice