1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird Standby Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tonedeaf, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf Thread Starter

This is my first time asking a question on this forum so hopefully I can get an answer to this.

I have just built a second PC, PIII Slot 1, New case and powersupply, 2 Harddrives, CDrom, floppy, generic video, generic sound, generic NIC.

The problem I am having is that the PC keeps wanting to go into Standby at different times. Sometimes when it is starting up and sometimes when I am just surfing the net. Other times when it is just sitting for a few minutes. No rhyme or reason. When it goes to standby the harddrives shut down and the monitor goes off. The power supply fan stays on and the system fan stays on. If I hit the mouse button it will initiate again but what a pain this is.

I have been through the POwer Management and all of the options are to "never". I have checked my BIOS and anything to do with POwer management is disabled.

Any ideas? Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Tone

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

Have you checked your temps to make sure the cpu isnt overheating and shutting down your system?

3. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf Thread Starter

I haven't done that. That is in BIOS I assume? How would I know that the processor is getting too hot? I have a case fan blowing right on it. The processor does not have a heat sink on it just for FYI. NOt sure if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tone

4. pronute

pronute

Yes the heat sink is very important because the tiny silcon chips don't have adequate surface area to dissipates the heat , the heat sink spreads the heat out for the chip , that is why every cpu manufacturer recommends a heat sink and heat sink fan or you void the warranty. if your going to install a heat sink make sure that you spred out a thin coat of heat sink grease first.

5. Jtoast

Jtoast

If your board has a temp sensor(most new ones do) then yes, its in the bios.

Although the PIII is rated for up to (if i remember correctly) 75c, I would worry if it got above the mid to low 40's.

If your's doesn't have a temp sensor, then I would suggest taking the side off and blowing a housefan directly on the cpu and seeing if it solves the problem. If it does, then its heat :D

If you don't have a heatsink then buying one is probably the first thing I would do.

You can also buy a temperature sensor for $US10-20 if your board doesn't have one.

6. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf Thread Starter

OK tried the fan thing. Still does it. My M-board does not have temp sensor on it. Can any of the peripheral cards be causing a short or something? I thought that maybe it was the harddrive that was pulling a little extra because the harddrive has gotten loud buzz to it. But I tried a spare one I have in the pc and it does the same thng.

Got the heatskink for the processor.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice