1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird System Crash

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Holly3278, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I just experienced one of the most weird system crashes with my PC ever. I was browsing the web with Firefox and Firefox's window open. I was just getting ready to disconnect from the Internet when all of a sudden the computer just shuts off and begins restarting. I saw a blue screen just before it shut off but I could not see what it said as it went by so fast. The system then proceeded to restart. As I was turning the Internet back on, a message comes up telling me that my system had just recovered from a serious error and prompted me to report the error to Microsoft. So that is what I did. Unfortunately it did not send me to a web page or anything of the sort to help me solve this problem. I don't seem to be missing any data except for one thing. My Firefox bookmarks were all deleted. I have never had a problem with my system like this before and was just wondering if someone could help me figure out what happened and fix any problems? :confused: :eek:

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

G'day holly3278! :p

Ahhh.. dont take this in a "im dismissing you way". Its one of those things when Windows decides to go psyco and crashes. Happened to me once when i was word processing, never happened again though. :rolleyes: Anyway, to put it in a easy way:

Firefox chucked a spaz at Windows. Windows argued back by restarting the computer, and showing a BSOD, Windows also restored your computer to the day before. However, for some reason Firefox removed your bookmarks :mad:. Yes that would piss you off. But basically Windows didnt like it so it crashed. (n). Its just one off. If it happens again i will reconsider that statement.

Also, look at the links in my sig, go to them all (even Hijack This).

HTH.

3. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hmm okay. I thought that it may have been just a one time only thing. At least I hope its just a one time only thing. lol Thanks!

4. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

thats ok.

5. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hmmm, it happened again! This time it happened during a really bad electrical storm though so I am not sure if it was a surge or Firefox acting up again. Once again it happened either when I was closing Firefox or when I was disconnecting Netscape. I think that it happened when I was closing Firefox just as it happened the last time. My computer totally crashed, restarted, and when it came back on it reported a serious system error. It is also having problems with the bookmarks so I have a feeling that something screwy is going on with Firefox. I did have to reinstall Firefox yesterday but it did not fix either problem. So, I am pretty certain that I have the culprit narrowed down to Firefox and I am definitely going to need further help with this as it has happened twice in one week.

6. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Okay well I am just posting an update for now but I would still like to have a reply about this if anyone knows about this sort of thing. I think I know what happened the last time (and possibly the first time) that this system crash occurred. My surge protector is one of those advanced ones and it has a thing where if a surge happens, it immediately disables power to the computer (or anything else that is connected) in order to prevent damage to any electronics that are connected to it.

Well, as I said, the last one happened during an electrical storm so this leads me to believe that possibly a lightning strike occurred nearby and sent a surge through the power system. This in turn triggered my surge protector and it shut off my computer but the computer did immediately restart so I am guessing it could have reset or something.

Okay now here's an even stranger thing that I don't know if I mentioned or not. After it restarted, I came online and made the last post. Then I tried to shut down and the system hanged on shutdown. It got stuck at the Windows is shutting down screen. I had to manually shut it down by pressing the power button for a few seconds.

Another thing is I seem to have lost my Firefox bookmarks but I have not noticed any other quirks. I would appreciate any help, suggestions for diagnostics, etc to figure out what may or may not have happened with my computer. Thanks!

7. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice