1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird system temperatures

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ionakana, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ionakana

Ionakana Thread Starter

Hi everyone

I have just replaced my deceased motherboard with an Intel D101GGC. I also replaced the culprit for the board's demise, my cheap and nasty generic power supply, with a Thermaltake W0084. My CPU is a P4 630 (3.0Ghz).

Once both were installed, I measured the system temperatures and fan speeds as follows:

In BIOS: CPU Temp 47C
    CPU Fan 980 RPM, front fan 1170 RPM, rear fan 980 RPM

Using Everest, at idle: Motherboard temp 42C, CPU temp 41C, Aux temp 47C
    CPU fan 990 RPM, system fan 1170 RPM, chassis fan 990 RPM

Using Everest, peak CPU load: Motherboard temp 44C, CPU temp 42C, Aux temp 61C
    CPU Fan 1320 RPM, system fan 1660 RPM, chassis fan 1400 RPM

Room temperature is about 20C.

I don't know what the "Aux" sensor is, and was unable to work it out from Intel's documentation, but it seems to be behaving more like I would expect the CPU to under load. Can anyone tell me what it is? Could it in fact be, as I strongly suspect, the CPU temperature? Obviously, if it is, it is getting unacceptably hot.

I tried cleaning off and replacing the Arctic Silver compound, and securely reseating the fan/heatsink assembly, but it made no difference.

Also, in a slightly foolhardy move, I turned the heater up to full power to simulate a hot summer day. Everest reported that the "Aux" temperature was now peaking at 68C, with a CPU fan speed of 2020 RPM. Intriguingly, however, according to Panopsys' ThrottleWatch, even at this temperature TM1 throttling was not activating. This is surprising given that Intel specifies a maximum operating temperature of 67.6C for the P4 630. Is the CPU really not reaching thermal throttling temperature, or is it possible that thermal throttling is inactive on my system? Or could there be some other problem?

Can anyone shed any light on what is going on here? Is my experience normal, or is there something wrong here? Is my system at risk?

Grateful for any assistance offered.

2. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

At a guess, i'd say the "aux" in your case is the onboard graphics chip that will generally run hotter than the CPU.
    Yours is passively cooled so i'd expect it to get hotter than 70 degrees with a lot of display activity.
    Think yourself semi-lucky though.... i've seen some boards (with integrated video) this year without even a heatsink on the GPU, never mind a fan - god forbid.

You should have some kind of hardware monitoring menu in the BIOS where you can cross reference the temperatures, also try any hardware monitoring software that might have come with your motherboard (on the CD).
    Unfortunately, sensor reading programs like everest aren't very dependable or specific about what they're monitoring (everest gives consistently low temperature readings on the machine i'm using right now for example).

3. qldit

qldit

Good Evening Chaps, I would have to agree with you Rumpo, but generally I have found the Everest program to be quite reliable, considerably moreso than other similar programs.

I don't really see any problem there with your system.

The in-case temperature could possibly be suggested by the motherboard temp which could possibly be reduced by improved airflow, but really it is in the normal kind of acceptable area.

It would be an idea to check from time to time and confirm things remain similar.

This is just my opinion.

Cheers, qldit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/480551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice