1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

weird, task pane on desktop problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by iamstuck, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamstuck

iamstuck Thread Starter

theres a task pane on my desktop and i didnt even open a folder. I restart and its still in my deskstop. I attached a file showing a pic on wuts wrong with it. Can guys tell me wuts going on, cuz i dunno if this is a bug on sp2 or sumthing. Hopefully u guys experienced this too. So can u guys help me get rid of it?

Attached Files:

2. mfay50

mfay50

The registry entry exists in:
    HKeyClassesRoot->CLSID
    Find the entry starting with {00021400-
    Go down to the shellex entry and left click the + sign
    Look at the ExtShellFolderViews and highlight the entry under that

In the right window, you will see an entry for PersistMoniker.
    The data should be: file://%userappdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop.htt

3. mike5532g

mike5532g

It's a bug in XP. I had it once. Go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

#15 Remove common tasks from the desktop

To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice