1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird Toshiba Satellite A35-S159 Power Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by petef, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petef

petef Thread Starter

I first noticed that when I was on AC power, the battery would start discharging, and the charge light would be off. So I shut down, took the battery out, and tried to restart on AC. It would start the boot process, run for less then 10 seconds, and shut off. I would restart again, it would get about half way through the boot process, and shut down again. Then I would restart, and it would boot up fine, but shut down after a couple of hours.

I thought it was overheating, so I removed and cleaned the heat sink thoroughly, and made sure the fans are working right. No luck.

Now it gets really weird. I bought a new battery, installed it and let in charge overnight. The next day everything worked perfectly on AC for at least 10 hours, and I shut it down for the day. The following day, after running for several hours on AC, I noticed that the charge light was off, and the battery was discharging again. Shut it down, took the battery out, tried to restart, and had the same three times to a good boot up described above. It ran perfectly without the battery for several hours afterwards. I then reinstalled the battery, and for the moment, it's working fine. But I'm sure this will start again.

Anyone have a clue?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Yes.

The power adapter sounds as if its on the way out, it's unable to supply the power needed for the laptop for long without cutting out. The charge light going off confirms that suspicion.

3. petef

petef Thread Starter

I wish I agreed with you, but there's a separate light for the power adapter, and when the charge light goes off, it stays on. Any other thoughts most welcome!

4. Lochworks

Lochworks

I would venture to guess, based on your explanation that there is a short in the power cord between the AC adapter and the laptop. I would try replacing the power supply. If you have a tester, you could try to test the cord when you notice the charge light going out. Obviously, by moving the cord, you could make it work again so try to be very slow with it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/470221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice