1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird Video Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IgneousPrime, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IgneousPrime

IgneousPrime Thread Starter

Hey all. I have Two XFX 7900 GT's running in SLi mode and I was able to run all my games perfectly for like 2 days in a row (built it 2 days ago) and then all of a sudden I have all of this static on my screen and in the background. On my screen, it's not so noticeable unless you look close, then it looks like its refreshing bad and you can see static lines throughout. As for the video, I run any benchmark and it freezes and all games I play have huge artifacts everywhere.

Im not sure when it started happening, but it may be something to do with my video and/or processor overlocking utilities. I have AI Nos (which came with my Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe motherboard) and I ran it at Overclock 3% for an hour or less and then put my times back to normal and uninstalled it. Maybe the times are still overclocked at 3%? How do I check this out?

Also, I did a few video overclocking (nothing much, about 5-10 MHZ above the original values for both cpu and memory) and then set them back to normal. Im using powerstrip right now and I see them at their default values.

Also, I tried just using a single GPU (instead of SLi) and got the same thing.

Another thing, my audio is all staticy as well. I hook my headphones to the motherboard and I hear static in the background such as when stuff is loading or the fans spinning. Maybe I wired some stuff wrong?

Any help is much appreciated. Going to turn off my computer today to let it rest and see if it's fine in the morning. Thanks.

2. IgneousPrime

Bump, sorry. :confused:

3. Jones

Jones

First, check to make sure all of your drivers are up-to-date. Vid card, sound card, motherboard, chipset, EVERYTHING. Then post your complete system specs.

Also, it could be overheating or there may be a problem with your power supply.

4. IgneousPrime

Yup, all of my drivers are up to date, made sure to do that before I posted. Weird thing is though, is that it keeps telling me that a new PCI Controller was found and like 2 other things and I have no idea how to update the drivers for it. I'm guessing those controllers are my cards, but I already have the latest ForceWare for em'. Not really sure what's going on with that.

I don't think it's overheating either, I turned off my PC the whole night and turned it on this morning and still had the same problem. I also have a custom Zalman heatsink for my CPU and I always have the fan on max.

I seriously think it has to do with my wiring inside the case. I mean, my audio is messed up (I hear static as said above) and I have no idea how to eliminate the problem. Now it's happening to my video card and I'm thinking stuff is going wrong way somehow, I'll try rewiring when I get home.

My specs are as follows:

- Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe Motherboard
    - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    - Two XFX 7900 GT's (SLi'ed)
    - Corsair PC3200 DDR400 2x1 GB of ram (2 GB total)

5. Jones

Jones

What brand and type of power supply do you have? These symptoms can be indicative of a dying PSU, or an overloaded one. With your high-end components, you really need a pretty beefy PSU to keep it stable.

6. IgneousPrime

I have an Antec TruePower II 550 Watts. I used the PSU calculator before I bought it and it seems sufficient for my computer.

7. Jones

Jones

Well, your PSU is a good one, so I don't think that's the problem. There could be something not plugged in quite right. You're probably right to double check all the connections. That way you can rule out at least one possible cause.

8. IgneousPrime

I didnt really know how to connect all of the wires, and a lot of them couldnt reach the motherboard, so I used a lot of other connections. Like, theres a wire that connects the fans to the cpu, and they have an extra wire which can connect to something else. I used it like a bridge kind of. Hard to explain.

I attached the 4 connection thing (forgot the name) to the fan from the powersupply, then the 4 connection from the fan to another fan, then that fan connection to the video cards, etc etc. I have my connections all weird and stuff and I don't even know if I'm doing it correctly (never wired this before).

Is there a motherboard wiring guide somewhere on line? Maybe fixing these wires will eliminate my problems.

9. Jones

Jones

Well, It's a good idea to keep your video cards on a completely separate line (ie: nothing else connected on that line), your HD's and CD drives on another, and your fans/accessories on another.

10. IgneousPrime

Done, rewired, cleaned up everything I still get all this weird jittery crap all over my screen and stuff. Would re-installing Windows to see if that's causing the problem my best bet? I don't have much on here yet anyway.

11. Jones

Jones

It's definitely worth a shot. Also, do you have any extra components (eg: old vid card) that you can use to see if it's one particular piece causing the problem? Swap some pieces out one-at-a-time, and see if you can find the troublemaker.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice