Weird Wireless Problem (it's the pc itself)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fieroturbo

Intro:
Ok, I know for sure it's my P.O.S. Sony Vaio laptop causing the issue. It has Windows XP Home SP1 (which could be the problem). I'm afraid to upgrade my laptop, for fear it will be like my desktop, which has Windows XP Pro SP2. For every problem fixed, a new one arose.

The Gear @ Home:
I've got a Netgear WGT624 wireless router. Back home it was my desktop, laptop, and PS2 running off of it, and into a cable modem. Only the laptop was wireless (running a Netgear PCMCIA wireless card), and when I would try connecting it wirelessly, it would reset the router randomly (more so if I had ANY type of firewall running).

The Gear on Deployment:
Here in the barracks, I have my router on an ADSL modem. With my roomate's PC and my neighbor's PC both running off the router wirelessly, NO PROBLEMS!

I connect mine? All chaos breaks loose. We get resetting... but only when I try doing a high net/cpu bandwidth program (Halo for PC). Normal internet and large downloads work fine (P2P not yet tried). This time, I'm using a USB wireless adapter (Trendnet). It works better than the Netgear PC card, which used more CPU power than a wireless card should. Plus, the Netgear card only worked with the netgear software, not at all with windows. The Trendnet works both ways.

The Theory:
For the firewall, I have the one built into the router disabled. We each have our own firewall software... could this be the issue? Should I disable the individual software firewalls and enable the hardware one?

Which One?:
So, is it:
1. PC Software
2. Firewall Conflict
3. Sheer Bad Luck (Also known as... Sony)
-----
Thank you sooooo much in advance for your help!

Sincerely,
Petty Officer Michael C Casaceli
United States Navy

What up there petty officer?

Funny how I have forty computers at the office running SP2 with no problems. I would guess it has something to do with the high bandwidth software you are running if everything else works fine. It also could be some restrictions from your ISP on bandwidth.

fieroturbo

Nope. My roomate plays Counter Strike with no problem. The company isn't limiting bandwidth.

I guess SP2 is the best option. That, or an HP laptop is in order. I F*CKING HATE SONY!!!

Thanks!

What do you mean by:

fieroturbo said:
it would randomly reset the router
Do you mean that the router would be disabled and all machines connected to it would be disconnected from the internet? Or does the router actually perform a hard reset in which case the machines would be temporarily disabled until they renewed their IP addrs (assuming the router came back up normally)?

Also is it the same router you used at home that you are now using in the barracks?? If so, it could have something to do with the router itself.
You could visit the netgear website to check for firmware / driver updates to your router:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WGT624.asp

I can't see how it would have anything to do with firewalls, or PC software.
Hope this helps!

fieroturbo

It's the same router. It only does this with MY laptop. No problems with my Desktop, my PS2, my neighbor's laptop, nor my roomates laptop. We had my buddy's Xbox on it wirelessly the other day, and no problem.

With my laptop, when running Halo for example, the power light turns from green to orange, temporarily ceases all function, and after no more than 2 minutes, it's back to normal.

I'm going to try SP2. Wish me luck.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online