1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird wireless setup preference

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kube_1989, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kube_1989

kube_1989 Thread Starter

I loaded up my aunt's hp laptop (came with Vista) with all the software she wanted, got her DSL running and her wireless router.

She is a very hollistic person and "doesn't want all those scan rays flying around her house". SO... she wants it to automatically use the ethernet when she's plugged in and only use wireless when she's not.

I can get it set up one way or the other- but soon as you plug or unplug.... all hell breaks loose.

Then- had her plugged in- and after it went to sleep- woke it up and it won't pick up internet....

HELP me PLEASE!!! My mac would never do this ;)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If she really doesn't want any Wi-Fi "rays" in the house when she is not using it she will have to login to the router and disable its radio, unless the router happens to have an external switch to do so. Removing the antenna (assuming it's removable) will greatly restrict the distance of the "rays.' Of course, unplugging it would work to, but would be an even bigger nuisance.

For the laptop it's pretty easy, albeit not automatic, to switch the wireless radio off when not using it.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    On our Sony's all we do is turn OFF the wireless using the switch on the front edge and plug in the CAT 5 cable. All is automatic on boot up and finds the wired network.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice