1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird Wordpad Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JRSellers, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JRSellers

JRSellers Banned Thread Starter

I got a strange problem with the toolbar in Wordpad (not Word, Wordpad). It simply won't display, even though I've checked it in View > Toolbar.

How do I get it back?

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

In WordPad, at least this is true for WordPad in WinXP, the Toolbar can be disconnected from the actual WordPad window. The Toolbar would then float separately from WordPad. If the last time you used WordPad the Toolbar was floating, and placed somewhere near the edge of the screen, then the next time you re-open WordPad the Toolbar goes back to the same place.

You might want to check around the edge of your screen to see if some small window (the "Standard" window, is what it is called) might be there, unnoticed. It can be moved so far off the center of the screen that it appears as just a sliver along the edge. If you can find such a floating Toolbar, just double-click on it and it will return to its regular place inside of the WordPad window.

Side note: there used to be a virus that used to hide some of the disconnect toolbars of Word along the edge of the screen, to the consternation of the unsuspecting users. Perhaps someone has done a similar thing for WordPad; or perhaps you just moved the Toolbar by accident, yourself.

Good luck.

3. JRSellers

The problem is that I don't even know what the heck I did. The toolbar only appears in one of my docs, but none of the rest.

4. moper

moper

Open Wordpad. Click View, Options. In there you can chose to have the toolbar show for different kinds of files:doc,rtf,word,etc.

moper

5. Jakbrud

Jakbrud

6. ChuckE

ChuckE

Moper,
    Using View>Toolbar overrides whatever setting you might set via View>Options (or vice versa).
    In other words, whichever selection you did last, is the current setting of the other.
    Since JR already ensured that View>Toolbar was on then the Toolbar should be displaying.

My suggestion that perhaps the Toolbar was floating around somewhere is my guess as to where it might be "hiding," and is still valid.
    ------------
    Jakbrud,
    Using an alternative to WordPad does not resolve the problem that JR is having with WordPad, and that is his question.

7. moper

moper

I thought that maybe some were .rtf and some may have been .txt or .doc. In the options you can turn the toolbar off for a .txt but still show when you open a .rtf or visaversa.

Oh well, no other ideas.

moper

8. JRSellers

Just tried it...didn't work.

9. JRSellers

I've used it. I currently have no need for an entire office suite.

10. HeddaLora

HeddaLora

Sometimes it works to turn off the toolbar, then turn it back on. Did you try that?

11. JRSellers

Yep. No dice.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323302

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice