Weird Wordpad Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JRSellers

Banned
I got a strange problem with the toolbar in Wordpad (not Word, Wordpad). It simply won't display, even though I've checked it in View > Toolbar.

How do I get it back?

In WordPad, at least this is true for WordPad in WinXP, the Toolbar can be disconnected from the actual WordPad window. The Toolbar would then float separately from WordPad. If the last time you used WordPad the Toolbar was floating, and placed somewhere near the edge of the screen, then the next time you re-open WordPad the Toolbar goes back to the same place.

You might want to check around the edge of your screen to see if some small window (the "Standard" window, is what it is called) might be there, unnoticed. It can be moved so far off the center of the screen that it appears as just a sliver along the edge. If you can find such a floating Toolbar, just double-click on it and it will return to its regular place inside of the WordPad window.

Side note: there used to be a virus that used to hide some of the disconnect toolbars of Word along the edge of the screen, to the consternation of the unsuspecting users. Perhaps someone has done a similar thing for WordPad; or perhaps you just moved the Toolbar by accident, yourself.

Good luck.

JRSellers

Banned
The problem is that I don't even know what the heck I did. The toolbar only appears in one of my docs, but none of the rest.

Open Wordpad. Click View, Options. In there you can chose to have the toolbar show for different kinds of files:doc,rtf,word,etc.

moper

Moper,
Using View>Toolbar overrides whatever setting you might set via View>Options (or vice versa).
In other words, whichever selection you did last, is the current setting of the other.
Since JR already ensured that View>Toolbar was on then the Toolbar should be displaying.

My suggestion that perhaps the Toolbar was floating around somewhere is my guess as to where it might be "hiding," and is still valid.
------------
Jakbrud,
Using an alternative to WordPad does not resolve the problem that JR is having with WordPad, and that is his question.

The toolbar only appears in one of my docs, but none of the rest.
I thought that maybe some were .rtf and some may have been .txt or .doc. In the options you can turn the toolbar off for a .txt but still show when you open a .rtf or visaversa.

Oh well, no other ideas.

moper

JRSellers

Banned
moper said:
Open Wordpad. Click View, Options. In there you can chose to have the toolbar show for different kinds of files:doc,rtf,word,etc.

moper
Just tried it...didn't work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online