1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weirdly slow office programs

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Bearspa, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bearspa

Bearspa Thread Starter

I seem to have a weird problem with Word and Excel (2003). if I click on either shortcut, the program opens reasonably quickly, and then it also opens any file quickly (whether it is from the recent files list or by finding it through "File Open".

However, if I doubleclick the Word or Excel file directly (say in Explorer), it takes forever to open Word/Excel,and then loading the file takes quite long too. Same problem with rtf files created with Wordpad. Also, same slow reaction if I rightmouse the file and either "Open" or "Open With".

This is a problem that only started overthe last couple of days, and I don't think I've installed anything new.

I am totally confused.

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

2. BettyAtKitchen

BettyAtKitchen

bearspa... i am glad i saw your posting because i was about to start the same one.

i felt the dramatic reduction in speed when i open, save, copy, find, sort, cut or paste in excel. i tried saving the file from xlsx (2007) to binary format (i thought it is supposed to help with huge excel files) but that did not help either.

hopefully, someone will be able to help us.

betty

3. Bearspa

Bearspa Thread Starter

Hi BettyAtKitchen:

I'm using Office 2003, so I don't know if this will work for you. But, I had also posted this on MS Newsgroup, and received this answer that seems to work. Periodically, something happens, and I have to repeat this process. Hope it works for you:

> Try the usual fix for this.
    >
    > Tools>Options>General Uncheck "Ignore Other Applications"
    >
    > If no joy with that................
    >
    > Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar
    >
    > 1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    > 2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    >
    > See the space between exe and /regserver
    >
    > You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
    >
    > In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes
    > required)>OK.
    >
    > To re-register Word................
    >
    > Start>Run winword /r
    >
    >
    > Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!