Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weirdness from Word autonumbering

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  hajduk 
#1 ·
Word has been a PIA recently. Yesterday I was editing a document with sequential numbering. One of the numbers got deleted, and when I tried to restore it, it was OK until I tried to place a space after it, or hit the Tab key right after it. If I did either, Word immediately indented it, reduced the font size, and changed the number to the next higher one. In the end I had to turn of automatic numbering to restore the original number. Also a particular line of text was somehow given a right margin in the middle of the page. If I typed in that line, as soon as I got to the middle of the page Word made a line break and I was down on the next line. I couldn’t see anything unusual about it; the ruler did not have any unusual marks and looked the same as for all the other lines. I had to delete the line. I have no idea what is going on.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 32 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20170408094425.000000-420
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 3 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) 4 Series Internal Chipset, 1285 MB
Hard Drives: C: 746 GB (604 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0C27VV, ver A02, s/n CN1374008V03KK.
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 15, s/n B8KBCP1
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#5 ·
It's docx; I don’t want to upload it at this time. What I want to do currently is to "stop protections". The instructions are clear: Review Tab > Protect > Protect Document > Restrict Formatting & Editing; in Task Pane, click Stop Protections. I have MS 2007, Word Professional 2013. I find no “Protect Document” step, but can go directly to “Restrict Formatting & Editing”. In the Task Pane the only options are “Move”, “Size”, and “Close”. There is no “Stop Protections”Button anywhere.

#8 ·
Professional 2013
It's docx; I don't want to upload it at this time. What I want to do currently is to "stop protections". The instructions are clear: Review Tab > Protect > Protect Document > Restrict Formatting & Editing; in Task Pane, click Stop Protections. I have MS 2007, Word Professional 2013. I find no "Protect Document" step, but can go directly to "Restrict Formatting & Editing". In the Task Pane the only options are "Move", "Size", and "Close". There is no "Stop Protections"Button anywhere.
Try File > Protect option instead. I think the directions you shown is for 365 and maybe 2016, though that option will not restrict the formatting of the contents, but the styles and what type (comments, tracked changes, and fillable forms)

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

(From Office 365)

Rectangle Font Technology Parallel Screenshot

From 2013

#9 ·
The first image is exactly what I see. Nothing about Protection there except how to *restrict* editing, when what I want to do is the opposite. On the other hand, the File menu also has nothing about Protection. The second image shows the menu; no Protection there, and none to be found at Options incl. Options > Advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.