1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weirdnesses brought on by NAV 2009 U/G

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Spainy53, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spainy53

Spainy53 Thread Starter

My Norton AntiVirus just upgraded from v2008 to v2009

Several weirdnesses ensued:

1. At the Windows Welcome screen, arrow keys could move the user selection up & down, but no alphanumeric keys made any visible entry (dot) in password field. :eek: Clicking Shut Down and restarting corrected this (for now, anyway).

2. The [Start] > [Log Off] > [Switch Users] button is missing. This would be a straightforward fix, except that...

3. In Control Panel, User Accounts lacks "Change the way users log on or off"! :confused: [Is XP SP3's REAL purpose to hose up a nicely-running XP SP2 box, so the owner will FINALLY spring for a Vista system?]

4. Clicking any of the "Learn About..." links opens the help page in IE7, but with its contents crowded to the left :eek: and the yellow bar at the top. Clicking to allow blocked content (Are you sure? :mad: YES!) results in yet another dialog about an ActiveX control that "might be unsafe" -- but the only new ActiveX control on this PC is one from Symantec, installed during the NAV 2009 upgrade. :p

P.S. NAV 2009 was the FIRST product I've run into that did NOT permit its EULA to be selected, printed or saved. :p I like to keep a record of things I've agreed to, but that text was out of reach! Sixteen screenshots later... :mad:

2. Spainy53

Spainy53 Thread Starter

May have solved #2. Something (?) had enabled Offline Files, which apparently does not coexist with Fast User Switching.

Partially solved #3. Control Panel STILL doesn't offer this option, but by opening C:\WINDOWS\Help\usercpl.chm, I was able to click on a link back to User Accounts that DID. A mystery!

Still no change in #4. Disabled the Symantec Intrusion Protection ActiveX control, closed all instances of IE or Explorer-related windows, and reopened Control Panel. No change. :(

Maybe restarting will help.

3. Spainy53

Spainy53 Thread Starter

Re: #4 Restarting did NOT help. :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice