1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Welcome screen not appearing when selected

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Couchie, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Couchie

Couchie Thread Starter

The welcome screen refuses to show, even though i've selected "use the welcome screen" under user accounts. Instead I get the classic logon screen. Interesting to note, is that when "use the welcome screen" is selected, there is a black background to the logon, but when it's not selected (when classic mode is actually supposed to show), I get the logon with the default blue background. I've tried going into regedit and activated it manually, (used a 1 value), but I still get the classic logon screen. What's wrong?

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

Maybe you can unhide the welcome screen.

Welcome Screen - Hide

This setting hides the welcome screen that is normally displayed each time the user logs on to Windows XP Professional. Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called 'NoWelcomeScreen' and edit the value according to the settings (0 = default, 1 = hide). Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

Note: Users can still display the welcome screen by selecting it on the Start menu or by typing "Welcome" in the
    Run dialog box.

3. Couchie

Couchie Thread Starter

I followed your instructions and created the 'NoWelcomeScreen' regsitry, but it did not have any effect. I am using Home Edition. When I type "Welcome" in the Run dialog box, I get the standard error message that no such file name exists.

4. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

5. Couchie

Couchie Thread Starter

I already tried that before, unfortunately it didn't have any effect. :(

6. buf

buf

Thanks JoanYoung for your reply to someone else re: log on screen. Your answer solved my problem; a problem that appeared from "nowhere".
    Just thought you'd like to know:D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537036

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice