1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Welcome screen stuck in never ending log on/log out loop?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by costnowt, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. costnowt

costnowt Thread Starter

Hello! I wonder if someone can help me? I recently installed SUMo updater. Unfortunately, since the last time I installed it, this program now seems to be bundled with spyware. :eek: In my haste to install the program I missed unticking relevant box and a program called Relevant Knowledge was installed too. Never mind I thought, I'll just uninstall it with the excellent 'Revo uninstaller', which I did. On rebooting my computer I found that I could not get passed the blue welcome screen. When clicking on my user account, instead of taking me to the desktop, I am returned to the user account page and this goes on in a never ending loop. :mad: I have search the web for others who may have overcome similar problems but it appears there are number of solutions and I don't know where to start. :confused: Please help?

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Have you been able to get to your desktop since installing this program? If not, I would first try Last known good configuration. If this does not work or you have logged into your computer and reached the desktop after installing the program, then I would try booting into safe mode.

Both of these options are available by pressing one of the various f keys during boot. Typically, it is the f8 key.

3. costnowt

costnowt Thread Starter

Hi! Thanks for the reply. :) Had a vague recollection of having done those things (I've come back to this after over a year) after reading around but tried them anyway and it didn't work. :( Any more suggestions?

4. drmacpccom

drmacpccom

You should restart the computer in safe mode with networking by using the "F8" button when the computer starts up. Once you are in safe mode with networking you can run a scan on the computer to get rid of spyware, but you should un-install any program that you recently added. Then run the check for spyware and restart after it is finished. This should fix your computer.

5. costnowt

costnowt Thread Starter

Sorry. :( This didn't work either - when I click the user account just the same thing happens. :confused:

Thanks for trying (y)

6. drmacpccom

drmacpccom

If the computer is in a constant restart state, you cannot do anything via safe mode or regular star up, sounds like you need to re-install your O.S. (Operating system)

I hope this helps.

7. costnowt

costnowt Thread Starter

:eek: Sounds extreme - to me anyway. :eek: How do I go about this - Is there more than one way and which is the best? Thanks for posting. (y)

8. drmacpccom

drmacpccom

Yes, it is a bit of a task. However, if you are using a windows xp install disc, be sure you do not wipe the machine. There is an option to install and over write your data, this is not what you want to do. You may need someone that is more advanced to backup your data and then do this, or just be very careful as this is not really a task for someone that has never done this advanced type of restore. If you do not care about the data on your computer, just re-install windows, but with your system you will likely not have all the drivers automatically come back. So you may be missing sound and video drivers when you re-install, but it would work. This is why a newer machine has less issues. All of these issues are kind of moot when re-installing windows 7 or Even sometimes Windows vista. The drivers are on disc during the install for most devices on a newer machine.

I hope this information helps.

9. costnowt

costnowt Thread Starter

Reminds me why I've been putting this off. ;) On this particular computer, I have completely wiped the drive and installed the operating system before (I was going to give it to my Mother). That was the first and last time I tried it - it was just a case of following instructions, so I'm sure I could do it again with the correct guidance. Any volunteers for a quick learner? :D Obviously this would be more complicated because I'd have to rescue the stuff off the drive, presumably without the XP?

Oh yes, is this the only way of doing things?

D

10. costnowt

costnowt Thread Starter

11. costnowt

costnowt Thread Starter

12. costnowt

costnowt Thread Starter

Can anyone shed any light on this? Even if you don't know, please tell me?

13. costnowt

costnowt Thread Starter

14. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    So I'm guessing you want to try and recover all of the data off of the hard drive. Is that correct?

Also, what OS do you currently have and what OS do you plan on installing?

15. costnowt

costnowt Thread Starter

Wow! :D Thanks for answering, was beginning to think no one would. Yes, I'm going to try and rescue the data - is this the only and/or best way to go? Currently have XP installed and will install again. Thanks again. D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice