1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WEP but not WPA connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Visbusy, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Visbusy

Visbusy Thread Starter

I am having the excact same problem, but I have an Asus F3l, which is only a couple of years old - shouldnt the drivers be valid - ie, hasnt WPA been around for some time?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, it has. And buggy drivers have been around much longer and will still be around long after we have forgotten WPA. Drivers don't get updated because somebody just got bored; they're updated to add a feature or fix a problem.

3. Visbusy

Visbusy Thread Starter

Thanks Terry,
    Would you suggest upgrading the actual wireless card driver, The wireless card driver that came with the Asus ? , the Belkin router hardware, Vista patch or all of the above ?

Simon.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I started your own thread for you in case that other guy comes back to his thread.

Your problem is that you can connect to WEP encrypted networks but not to WPA encrypted ones, right?

I'd first make sure of having the latest wireless driver. If it is an integrated adapter get the driver from Asus's web site. If it is an external card get the driver from the adapter manufacturer's site.

Secondly, make sure of having the latest firmware for the Belkin router. If you update the firmware then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

If you still have trouble after those updates ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. And ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

5. Visbusy

Visbusy Thread Starter

Hey Terry,

Good News, I upgraded my Wireless Card to latest firmware (Windows even seemed to do this for me) and it worked first time. Local and Internet.
    Problem now is that internet drops out every few seconds with WPA ! Just comes up page could not be displayed every 4th or 5th page I go to. Would you consider this to be a whole other area ?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe. But "Windows even seemed to do this for me" doesn't give me any confidence that you followed my advice about a wireless driver. And you haven't mentioned the router firmware or reset, nor whether you did the stack repairs.

7. Visbusy

Visbusy Thread Starter

Hey Terry - thanks again for getting back to me.
    "Windows did this for me" means that I clicked on search the web for an updated driver through device manager, and after a while it said it had found one and installed, I rebooted router and Laptop and it connected to wireless network.
    (Will need to get this info for you tonight - but IP of router is 192.162.2.1 (Gateway) and Laptop is .3 and TV is .4
    Belking surf modem is brand new and Im pretty sure it said it had the most up to date firmware. It sounds like your saying that even though Windows got me another driver, that it may not be still the most up to date one. Its an Atheros Wireless card, so I tried to go to that site, but it was some czech one that looked dodgy, the drivers on the Asus F3l site and my cd have the same datestamp as the one on my PC (jan 2009 I believe)
    I can post that screen shot using that program for you too.

Thanks,
    Simon.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes the motherboard or system manufacturer has to modify the "raw" driver to work in the system. That's why the first choice is the driver from the PC manufacturer's web site, regardless of date. When having trouble with that one it's good to try other drivers (e.g., from motherboard or adapter manufacturer) because there are anomalies where those work better.

If the model is AR5007 or AR5007EG there have been lots of trouble with those adapters the last couple months. A few people have succeeded in getting them to work with different drivers, but most haven't been able to use WPA2 and, I think, WPA.

9. Visbusy

Visbusy Thread Starter

The model is an Atheros AR5006EXS with my Asus F3l. It is proving impossible to find a decent driver made after 2007, the ones on the Asus website (3) only go up to V7.3.1.73 2007/10/23. I have found that there is V7.7.0.384 out there but this doesnt seem to be found anywhere, and like you said, the manuafacturer may need to config it a bit. Ill try the dodgy latest one I can find, but dont hold much hope. Will let you know !
    Simon.

10. Visbusy

Visbusy Thread Starter

Hi Terry,

Some info for you - The adapter is infact an AR5007EG. But I used the only Atheros firmware I could find (7-7-0-384) - which I had no confidence in really, but it worked. Checked for a Belkin update and there was one afterall - so updated this also. Worked all night untill a Vista update and reboot - then no connection again, matter of fact Vista disabled the adapter all together. Re-enabled, Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector and speed test showing good connectivity and results and could search in google, but couldnt go to any pages !
    Updated the Driver once more - same firmware (7-7-0-384) and connection was great this morning. Matter of fact, I am now getting speeds up to 14 mb/s when before it was only 9. Strange these goings on.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From where did you get the Atheros firmware? This could help others. And from where is the driver you are now using?

12. Visbusy

Visbusy Thread Starter

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Strange! But I can't argue with success. :)

14. Visbusy

Visbusy Thread Starter

..I spoke too soon again, this worked for a day or so, I got the sh!ts with it and just went and bought a Belkin wireless usb. Worked, but then browsing drops out every 5 minutes or so, can google search and download files etc, but when I click on a page in a browser, it gives the error, a couple of minutes later its fine. So I thought ok I ve had enough of this and just wired straight into modem - same problem.

Terry - I actually did some more research and found another one of you solutions, but it is obviously something else. I've read some comments about using Norton removal tool, but dont really want to do this.

(Tried solution below)

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Then it's probably a problem with the modem or your ISP. What is the brand and model of the modem? Does it have LEDs that indicate the connection to the ISP is maintained or intermittently lost?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice