Wep Key question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Boothbay

Account Closed
As i try tweaking my internet wireless connection, I am finally asked for a wep key entry. I do see Wep key 1, upwards in the list, but they are not asking for that one...could someone tell me what number they are talking about and how to retrieve it so i can enter it.? thanks

TerryNet

Terry
I have no idea what you mean by "try tweaking my internet wireless connection" but the WEP key entry would be the WEP key used for the wireless network to which you are trying to connect. You retrieve it by looking at what is set in the router (if it shows), resetting it, or asking the network adminstrator.

Boothbay

Account Closed
Tweaking is my word for trying to make a connection between my desktop and laptop wirelessly work, which so far I am not able to do, such as my original post said..."what is the wep key and how do i find it?"

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
When you configure the router, you put a key in the #1 slot, leave the others blank. You use the same key for ALL the connecting workstations.

Personally, I recommend WPA-PSK, much more secure.

TerryNet

Terry
Tweaking is my word for trying to make a connection between my desktop and laptop wirelessly work
Infrastructure (with a router) or ad-hoc (computer to computer w/o router)? Either way get it working without security first, and then add encryption.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online