1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wep Key question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Boothbay, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

As i try tweaking my internet wireless connection, I am finally asked for a wep key entry. I do see Wep key 1, upwards in the list, but they are not asking for that one...could someone tell me what number they are talking about and how to retrieve it so i can enter it.? thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have no idea what you mean by "try tweaking my internet wireless connection" but the WEP key entry would be the WEP key used for the wireless network to which you are trying to connect. You retrieve it by looking at what is set in the router (if it shows), resetting it, or asking the network adminstrator.

3. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Tweaking is my word for trying to make a connection between my desktop and laptop wirelessly work, which so far I am not able to do, such as my original post said..."what is the wep key and how do i find it?"

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you configure the router, you put a key in the #1 slot, leave the others blank. You use the same key for ALL the connecting workstations.

Personally, I recommend WPA-PSK, much more secure.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Infrastructure (with a router) or ad-hoc (computer to computer w/o router)? Either way get it working without security first, and then add encryption.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754802

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice