1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WEP - performance hit?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by atconc, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atconc

atconc Thread Starter

Does anyone know/have any experience of whether WEP makes any difference to the performance of a wifi network (latency and throughput).

At the moment I'm using 128bit encryption as I want the network to be secure, however we live in a quiet suburban area and I dont' expect a lot of hackers/wardrivers are going to be around here so I was wondering if using 64bit or no WEP will make any difference to the performance of the network

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have seen no mesurable difference in performance from 64 bit to 256 bit WEP. Personally, I'd stick with the highest number your equipment supports. You'd be surprised about who's driving around or listening in from the neighborhood. I had a friend over and we were cruising around our neighborhood, it was amazing the number of unsecured wireless networks there were! We found 16 sites, and only two of them (mine was one) had WEP enabled.

3. atconc

atconc Thread Starter

there's no measurable difference between numbers of bits, but how about between WEP and no WEP?

4. JohnWill

I saw no difference there either, sorry I didn't make that clear.

5. slawless

slawless

I'm very new to wireless networking, but the instructions that came from linksys claim there will be a performance hit. How much, I dont know. Apparently by the other posts it isn't much.

Steve L

6. atconc

atconc Thread Starter

I've just discovered one of the FAQS on the Netgear (who make my router) site says enabling WEP will cause 40-60% loss of speed and range! This FAQ is linked from the support page for our router but the model numbers don't tie up so I'm not sure if it applies (hope not)

I'm tempted to set it up to restrict by MAC address instead and drop WEP, but I guess that would make the data vunerable to snooping still.

Also I'm having trouble with WEP passphrases in XP, help would be appreciated in
    the new thread I've posted here

7. JohnWill

Obviously, Netgear didn't use enough processor in their wireless equipment. :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice