Western Digital 160Gb H/D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Moonshine17c

Hi,
I am puttin gtogether a PC for a friend. All is good but for the hard drive. The Hard drive is a Western Digital 160Gb with 8mb cache. When this drive is installed all it does is make a loud spinning noise. Drive shows up in BIOS but when it comes to operation it doesn't exist. On loading WinXP, the system doesn't display any drive to partition. I removed the 160GB drive and installed another. XP installed OK. I tried adding the 160GB as a slave, the spinning noise returns and the computer now fails to load XP. I tried this with the 160Gb as a slave on another system and got the same result.
I am looking to contact the vendor in the morning, but what I am asking is for your tech advice incase I am missing something.
(n) Is this drive a duffer?(n)

Also, when installing a 160Gb hard drive, is it the same routine as installing, say, an 80Gb?

Thank you for any of your posts.

Originally posted by Moonshine17c:
(n) Is this drive a duffer?(n)

Also, when installing a 160Gb hard drive, is it the same routine as installing, say, an 80Gb?
Looks like another WD drive bites the dust :eek: If you put it in a second machine and it still isn't responding, then you can rule out the first machine as the problem. The only thing that they both have in common is the drive, so that's most likely your problem.

Same routine to install the 160 but in some cases you might not see the full 160 gigs. In your case you don't even see the drive so it looks like the drive is smoked ;)

The good news is that most WD have 5 year warranties so you should be able to get it fixed at thier cost. However, if you just bought it I would return it and just get a better brand, like Maxtor, Hitachi (IBM) or Seagate. CompUSA has a 200 gig Seagate on sale this week for only 99 bucks :D

Triple6

Rob
Make sure you are setting the jumpers correctly on each drive; one as Master, one as Slave. You can also try setting both drives to Cable Select or try each drive as master on different IDE connectors.

Also make sure your motherboard supports a 160GB hard drive; older systems do not. Also XP needs to have Service Pack installed to recognise drives over 160GB properly.

In XP you can check to see, and format, the drive by going to Control Panel - Administrative Tools -> Computer Management - > Disk Management.

Originally posted by Triple6:
Also make sure your motherboard supports a 160GB hard drive; older systems do not.
He would still at least "see" the drive, even if it was an older MB. He just wouldn't be able to use the full 160 gigs. Moonshine17c doesn't even see the drive at all, so either his MB is bad (ruled out when s/he tested it in another computer) or the drive is most likely bad. The only other thing that I would do to double check, would be to use a second drive that they KNOW is good, and try it in the first computer. If everything is OK then, then I would trash the WD ;)

Moonshine17c

Wet Chicken, Thank you for your reply. Your reply backs everything up. I just needed to hear from a second source. The motherboard and all other devices are verified as good. The motherboard is an Asus A7N8X-X. Could you answer my question about the 160Gb drive being OK for this board. Thanks.

disconnect all other hard drives and cd roms and have the 160GB hard drive on an IDE cable by itself. Set the drive as cable select. then proceed to boot up.

Moonshine17c

Ourhouse, I am building the system from scratch. To boot up I need to get an operating system onto the drive. The loud noise certainly is not the norm for hard drives. I am assuming it is duff. The computer system keeps on trying to access the hard drive. It will keep repeating to do this, hence the system hanging when this drive is run as a slave to an other. Thanks for the post though

is it at cd rom on its own ide cable and the 160 GB hard drive on the other cable? both as single or cable select?

Howdy folks...

Moonshine17c...

To save you some heart ache ( I'm pretty sure Western Digital is going to ask you to do this anyway )...

Download the diagnostics from here Western Digital and run it on the drive...

Moonshine17c

Thanks Jedi Master. To think, the Jedi Master giving me advice. For years I have been training as a Jedi :D

If the WD diag. software did turn up any error codes ( and I'm sure it will write you a book :D ) and if you plan on keeping it instead of getting a better drive, then be VERY CAREFUL how you pack the drive when you ship it to them!!!!!

Do NOT pack it in Styrofoam!!!!! Use ONLY soft foam or the original packing material, and also make sure that you enclose it in the anti-static bag or they will gladly void your warranty :D

You'll need to verify if it is compatible not by the motherboard, but by the BIOS version. How old is the BIOS? I'm building another computer myself as we speak, but as soon as I'm done I'll go to the Asus web site and poke around for you. If the board is brand new then you should be OK.

Moonshine17c

Again Wet Chicken Thank you.Th eboard is brand new. Fortunately I will be returning the hard drive to a middle man company. One of the best in this country in my eyes. I have dealt with them quite a bit

dustyjay

Jay
Antoher one bites the dust! Sorry, Was this drive brand new or had you used it in a previous system? If from another system was it giving you any symptoms before this?

Moonshine17c

Dusty Jay. The drive was new. Tried it in known good system and error occurred. Whenever drive removed system OK. Getting late in my country, going to bed. Will contact supplier in morning. COnclusion: The drive is a duffer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online