1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

western digital external drive issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cky, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cky

cky Thread Starter

so ive got a western digital my book essential external hard drive. ive had it for about 2-2.5 years now and ive loved it. it is a 500gb. ive been using for storeing pretty much everything on withoit a problem untill now. recenlty its not been able to let me access the contents and now i cant even see it on my computer. also when i plug it in sometimes it will bog the comp down and the access light flikers wich normally it doensnt do this unless in use. is it cooked? shoudl i thorow it down my stairs?brake torque it? i really dont want to have to buy a new one and also id like to get my data back

edit:

just noticed i can see the drive but it is not accessible when i try and it is not called files like its supposed to just a generic name and drive letter. also when i try to acess it it crashes explorer unless i wait for about 2 minutes untill it says u need to reformat this drive to use it. ive already tried to make it work on 2 computers 1 install of vista and 2 installs of xp with same results

does anybody have a solution for me dont wanna lose 300+gb of data

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Those are some of the classic signs that the drive is failing. Your options are to try some recovery software, free or otherwise, try to image the drive with something like Acronis True Image with the ignore bad sectors option turned on (check which version supports that option before using), or possibly running a program like SpinRite from www.grc.com targeted at the drive (Ideally making an image first to get what you can and then run SpinRite which may very well make it possible to recover all the data...or kill the drive if its a mechanical problem because SpinRite works the drive pretty hard.

3. green apple

green apple

hi i have a dell xps m1330 laptop running on Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit operating system) and i just bougt a new western digital 320gb external hard drive. The external drive contains WDSync and other files in it. well, basically, i want to back up my computer on the external drive. so i go to windows help then security and maintenenace then back up computer. then i will select the external drive however an error displays that says: This disk cannot be used to store Windows Complete PC back-up image because it is not formatted with NTFS. what does that mean? wat will i do???? if i reformat the drive will it break? will i need the programs that are pre-installed in the drive like the WDsync and others?
    next, when i plug a different external drive ('Seagate brand i think") a pop-up window saying use this drive to speed up your system pops up but this doesn't happen with the Western digital? when i check under Readyboost it says drive is not supported. why? thanks i'm not very good at this computer stuff so please not much technical jargon thanks :)

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

You should probably start your own new thread with this because it will get seen by more people and the moderators like to see it that way as well.

Last first, don't give any thought to Readyboost concerning external hard drives. Its for small USB flash drives that are rated fast enough to use for that purpose.

You do not need WDsync for full function of the external drive. Its a backup program that you would install on your system that you could use in backing up your computer. You should be able to make a folder on your systems internal drive and copy those files over to that if you want to keep them and maybe try it now or later. Even if you didn't copy them over I think you could probably go to the WD website and download the same software to use at any time.

The WD external drive is most likely formatted with the FAT32 file system, which is good for many things but it has a file size limitation of 4 gigabytes. The Windows Complete PC backup image was most likely calculated by your system to exceed that 4 gigabyte limit so it said it couldn't use that drive because it is not formatted with the NTFS file system, which does not have that 4 gigabyte limit.

So, if you have those WD programs copied off the external drive if you want to save them and no other data on the drive that needs to be backed up somewhere else, then you can open the Computer window, locate the external drive in the list, right click on it and choose format... All the defaults should be fine and you can just click start and it will probably prompt you to be sure you really want to format the drive. If you are very sure you have the correct drive, ok the format and it will start. When finished you will have a NTFS formatted drive and the backup image will then fit.

It shouldn't be too hard at all, good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/747325

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice