1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Western Digital external hard drive not working and flashing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by albertrob, Mar 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. albertrob

albertrob Thread Starter

Hi,

My Western Digital external hard drive just stopped working. There was no fall or energy issues as far as I know. It was perfect until yesterday, but today it keeps flashing a white light in front of it very quickly (each 1 or 2 seconds). Every blinking is accompanied by an intern spinning sound.

The power button also stopped working, and pressing it does nothing. My Mac Pro won't recognize the hard drive anymore, and it doesn't show up on Finder or Disk Utility. It looks like the device is frozen.

I tried changing the usb port, changing the outlet and reseting the computer, but nothing worked. I couldn't check for problems via third part software or check for firmware or driver updates because I have no access to the device whatsoever, as my Mac doesn't show it anywhere.

I can't remember the model of the hard drive, unfortunately. I bought it back in 2009. It looks like an older version of the "My Book Studio", but instead of just a little dot in the front of it, it has an oval lightened shape. (the one that keeps blinking).

I am kind of desperate because a lot of my work stuff is there! Please help!
    Thanks folks

Mac Pro Quad Core Intel Xeon/OS 10.7 / 16Gb Ram / 1TB internal drive / 1TB + 1TB external drive

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If the power switch isn't working, it would appear the device is faulty.

If it's not under warranty, as a last resort, you could attempt to remove the HDD from the enclosure and connect it internally, using another enclosure, or via a USB adapter.

And I'm sure you've heard this before, but you should have at LEAST one backup copy of any data that you don't want to lose. Hardware fails all of the time, most often without warning. Two or more copies are recommended.

3. valis

valis Moderator

if it's 7 years old, it's highly likely it just gave up the ghost. As it sounds like it's an enclosure as opposed to a passport drive, you can try what Oddba11 said and mount it internally, but it definitely sounds like the HD called it a day. Hope you have the data backed up. Again, as Oddba11 stated, data that isn't backed up is data you neither need nor want.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1167190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice