1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Western Digital External hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmrandagk, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmrandagk

dmrandagk Thread Starter

A friend has bought a Western external hard drive for £39.99 from Tesco and there were no instructions on how to back up files to it, apart from Chinese! . Eventually I opened the My Documents window and opened the External drive window (F drive) and selected the whole of My Documents, including My Music and My Pictures, and dragged and dropped and it copied all of the selected files to the external drive. I safely removed it and insterted again and checked the files were copied to the drive and managed to drag one back to desktop and it copied it back ok, but I wanted to transfer some of the files to another computer, and it would not recognise the USB in the second computer. I feel worried that if the need to re-establish these files onto a new computer, if the backup was needed, that it would not work. Any ideas. When I first inserted the USB for the external hard drive autoplay did not come up and I had no idea what to do, but treated it the same as a flash drive and it seemed to work. But it should surely open on another computer, as that would be the point of the backup.

2. Chris17_99

Chris17_99

What operating system was on the machine that your Western Digital drive didnt work on?

3. dmrandagk

dmrandagk Thread Starter

The operating system is XP on both computers.

4. Chris17_99

Chris17_99

Does it even look like the machine it's not working on detects it the hard disk when you plug it in?

5. dmrandagk

dmrandagk Thread Starter

I perhaps did not fully explain what I did. We put the USB in and when no autoplay came up, decided to operate it (without any instructions) like a flash memory drive and opened the Window with the files to be copied, and opened the F drive and selected My Documents and dragged and dropped them to the portable file. It showed a message at the beginning "Found New Hardware", but that was all. All the files were copied and I dragged one back to the desktop to open it to check that it had copied ok and it had. But I wanted to see how it would operate on a completely different computer - as if the current computer stopped working, and the backup had to be copied back to a new computer, I wanted to check it would work ok.

I put it into my computer and again no autoplay, so I opened the USB drive and it showed nothing.

6. dmrandagk

dmrandagk Thread Starter

I decided to be brave and accept the warning that it might damage my computyer, and allowed the wizard to install something, then I could see the files on my computer, so that solves the problem. Thanks for the support. D Relph

7. Chris17_99

Chris17_99

Brilliant, didnt realise you were getting a warning. But atleast its fixed :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/951832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice