1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Western Digital hard drive format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bishop71080, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bishop71080

Bishop71080 Thread Starter

I recently installed a second HD. A 120gb WD. I'm using it to hold all of my media files and have installed it as a slave F:. My problem is when I formated it I only got a thrid of HD space. I used the format/setup disk it came with and even downloaded a diffrent one from the net and the same results. Any bright ideas? Thank you for you help.

Miles

2. Philcarrie

Philcarrie

did you check to see your mobo could cope with that size of drive, my old board could only cope with a 36gig drive tops.
    there is sometimes a jumper get-around-check the manual of the drive and board

3. slipe

slipe

Welcome to TSG.

I’m not a big fan of overlays, but the WD data lifeguard software should install an overlay that will allow the MB to recognize the drive regardless of MB and BIOS limitations. Look through the Data Lifeguard help files.

One of the things listed on the WD site for data lifeguard is:
    “Overcomes operating system and BIOS limitations.”

Another option is to check your MB or computer maker’s site for a BIOS update that lets it see larger drives.

A BIOS flash can be disastrous if you screw it up and the overlay interferes with programs like Partition Magic, Ghost etc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!