1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Western digital hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HAWKSWORTH, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HAWKSWORTH

HAWKSWORTH Thread Starter

TWO YEARS AGO I BOUGHT A WD HARD DRIVE, WD1600 BEV, MDL/WD 1600EIMS-OO, SER NO WXEZO 7H 24851. uSING wINDOWS 2000 AT THAT TIME IT OPERATED OK AND DID NOT NEED ANY ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE.

I HAVE SINCE CHANGED TO WINDOWS XP AND ATTEMPTED TO USE THIS DRIVE ON WHICH I BACKED UP MY FILES. WHILE IT SHOWS AS DRIVE e:/ AND THE DEVICE MANAGER SAYS IT IS WORKING WELL AND THE INDICATION IS THAT THERE IS STILL 143 MB LEFT. WHEN I ATTEMPT TO OPEN IT FROM 'MY COMPUTER' I GET AN ERROR MESSAGE " ACCESS IS DENIED"

I TOOK IT BACK TO COMPUTER WORLD FROM WHOM I BOUGHT IT AND THEY TESTED IT AND SAID IT WAS OK. COULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT I AM DOING WRONG, PLEASE.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If it is formatted with an NTFS partition and transferred from another computer, you need to take ownership of the folders and files as described here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

3. HAWKSWORTH

HAWKSWORTH Thread Starter

tHANK YOU FRANK4 AND ALL WHO HELPED.

i HAVE NOW SOLVED THE ACCESS PROBLEM BY RE FORMATTING.

tHANKS AGAIN

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    That would be another way to do it. I hope you had another backup of those files, though, or that they were not overly important! ;-)

Welcome to TSG!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!