1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Western Digital hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rossiboy, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rossiboy

rossiboy Thread Starter

Please can you confirm that this p/c can take a second hard drive.I have a new 2TB WD20EARS-OOMVWBO (or 00MVWB0) cant tell if they are zeros or O"s. notice this comp fromn HP website can take 2TB WD hardrives with some issues on the 5400rpm models but still can use.I belive this on is a 7200rpm version so shouldnt expect any probs. However when after fitting i only get the BIOS screen displaying details of my proccessor,Ram and Drives includind cd/dvd drive. However it seems to register it as it displays its details but says IMINANT HARD DRIVE FAILIURE BACKUP URGENT.cant do anything from there when i press to continue just mess saying something fatal has happened and then crashes. Please advise have i just got a bad one or am i missing steps to install this hard drive??
    Please provide previous troubleshooting steps, or information that can help HP assist you.: have tried swapping the sata leads round onto diffrent connection on motherboard still receiving same results,just on a diffrent port thats all. Any help will be appriciated should i send it back???

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

I'm a little confused about the steps your taking to install what I think is a second?, HD? You have a Win 7 on a master hd and that's working without the secondary? Or your installing a larger HD as master and that's where your receiving your "failure" error?
    Can you help us out with a little more clarification so we can help you out.

3. rossiboy

rossiboy Thread Starter

Hi thanks for helping jazz3000.Yeah it a secondery hard drive as running out of space.Havnt touched the original hard drive which is i guess u would call the master. Im no expert but if followed all the instructions i can find on fitting as it is a SATA hard drive i understand all i should have to do is fit it in its cage,and connect the power and SATA lead to the motherboard.The cover label on the hard drive says it all ready to go,no formatting or anything else need to do,Thought it should be straight foward as it not the other type messin with jumpers and master/slave plugs ect.Also the main drive is of the same make,just little smaller at 640gb. The origional drive works fine without the second drive attached as i am writting to you now on the p/c. just dont get passed the BIOS hard drive failure notification with it connected, so havwe removed it for now,Had a couple of windows had failed to start issues after but guess that is to be expected messin with taking drives in n out.Many thanks

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

Wouldn't it be great if everything is they way they say it's gonna be. I'm going to suggest, specifically because it's a new drive and under warranty you take advantage of WD technicians. I think in reading about Win 7 and some of the issues with SATA as well as secondary SATA that they would best be the ones to get you up and running without too much time and effort.
    From what I read in many instances it requires changes in bios and partitioning once your in Win 7 through the Disk Management app.
    Call:1 (800) 275-4932 and ask the techs there about the drive. My concern is the error your receiving. WD is a good company and their techs have always been straight forward with me. It's also a good learning experience for you.
    Let us know what happens, and if you learn something we don't know.

5. rossiboy

rossiboy Thread Starter

Yeah will do m8,It would be nice for something to work like it says on the tin once in a while lol.As a beginner im just inpressed that i can actually open the comp and kinda understand what bits are now,like it were an engine.Anyway have fowarded me info and predicament toWD via email,not avin any sucess with there number,but email will do.So will hold this thread and let u know m8,once again thankyou all v best

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!