Western digital hardrive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Coobie

I have an hp 535 pavillon. I recently installed a 250 GB Western digital hard drive. The ORIGANIAL hard drive was a 40 GB Western digital. I installed it in the other bay and used Norton Ghost to clone it. everything is fine except I can not change the drive letter or get my pc to boot off the new drive. Help!

Go to >start>controlpanel>administrativetools>double click on computer mgmt.>right click on the drive you want to asign a drive letter>click change drive letter

Coobie

I tried unpluging the old drive after I cloned the new drive. I have the jumper in the same position as my old drive the first position 1 and 2. It starts to boot up on the new drive but stops on the windows xp startup screen.

Have you confirmed that the jumper is in the correct position for Master?
After disconnecting the old drive did you try connecting the new one to the same cable?

Coobie

Right now the new drive is hooked up in the slave position. When I go to disk management it shows it has healthy and active. i have the jumper in the first position just like the origanal drive was setup. It stalled out on the windows xp screen when I hook the new drive up to the master part of the cable. what I would like if possible is to leave the new drive in the slave position and re format the old drive for storage if possible. i tried changing the drive letter but it won't let me do it. I'm not sure of the jumper position for the new drive in the slave position.

Coobie

I shut down the computer, hit F5 for setup. Went TO BOOT. I chose the new drive. It started on the old drive. What jumper position shold the new drive be in. Or will it make a differance.

Coobie

The old drive is in the Master position with the jumper in the first position. The new drive is in the slave position with the jumper in the first position just like the old one. It won't let me change the drive numbers except for ie (c:) F and (G:) C.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online