1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Western Digital vs Seagate Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rdonovan1, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

Which do you think is better? I'm just wondering because I've recently been looking at both the Western Digital 2 TB external hard drives and the Seagate 3 TB external hard drives and trying to compare them in terms of features, benefits, reliability, and price.

I'm traditionally a Western Digital loyalist and have been using them for years, but lately I'm considering trying Seagate due to the fact that at the moment they are higher in capacity than the Western Digital drives.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

In the past I used lots of Seagate drives, however in the last couple of years it seems that Seagate had quite a few problems and I have been using WD drives without incident. Personally, at this time I lean towards WD drives.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I'm using the WD Black series HDDs .. 5 year Warranty

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree completely; ALL drive makers go through periods of poor design and or quality control. Right now I use WD drives in my builds.

I see you are asking about external type drives. IMO external drives are NOT made for continuous duty unless they have a cooling fan. Externals just get too hot inside a case to be run continuously.

FWIW I just buy an external case like this one You can then install any drive you want. Put in one of the WD RE type drives; it will be just about bullet proof and will last a long time.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Agreed, There's several advantages to building your own external.
    I use the External Enclosure CRJ Linked to .. And install a good WD Black series HDD in it.
    You get an External that you can perform Maintenance/Troubleshooting on .. With a better HDD installed

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Over the past year I have used about 10 western digital drives such as the Caviar Blue, Black, and Green and I have had no problems or no reports of problems with any of them.

Jack-O-Bytes

7. raybro

raybro

I've had only 1 Seagate drive ever. It failed after about 2 months. I went back to WD and never strayed again.

Raybro

8. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I would rate WD external hard drives as an "avoid at all costs" product.

The reason is twofold. First, WD externals come with shovelware - some of it is in firmware - and it is a major job to get rid of it if you don't want to use it. The WD external will put an icon on your desktop if you are in Windows that leads straight to the shovelware, and you can't easily remove that icon.

Second, WD externals now have a non-standard interface on the drive itself. WD has cost-reduced their product by putting a USB interface directly on the HD controller rather than going through an interface converter on the way to a standard HD with a SATA or IDE interface. The result of this is that if you have a problem on the drive that requires you to bypass the USB interface in order to do repair work on the drive, you can't. Most repair software won't work through the USB interface because many drive commands simply aren't available through that interface.

You make your own choices, but if someone gave me a WD external, I'd give it away.

Personally, I think the best external drive is one where you buy the case, choose the drive you like best, then put the drive in the case. About the same cost, usually a better resulting warranty, a standard drive interface, you know what you have, and no shovelware.

9. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

I've never had any real problems with WD drives. I've only had one instance that I can recall in which a WD drive actually failed on me. Everything else with WD drives that I've experienced has just been a simple case of me needing to upgrade because either the technology has changed or I've outgrown the drive itself.

I've got one WD external 500 GB hard drive that I bought in 2007 for my notebook computer and I still use it to this day without any real problems except for the fact that it's now just about full and I need a larger hard drive.

I bought it because I needed the extra storage capacity above and beyond what my notebook computer offered.

I'm what you'd call a power user when it comes to computers and because of that I tend to make hard drives fill up very fast.

I don't know if that's a character flaw of mine or not, but it's just the way that I am when it comes to things like computers and technology. I always seem to want the latest and greatest with everything and am rarely satisfied.

10. raybro

raybro

jiml8 makes a valid point about the "Shovelware' (new term to me, but descriptive (y)). It is definitely the primary reason I always do what he mentioned regarding having a (fan cooled) external enclosure, then buying a PATA or SATA hard drive to go into it.

Never having been a fan of the monster externals that come with backup software and all kinds of other stuff (shovelware, I suppose) I don't use them at all and have no direct experience with them. As far as WD PATA and SATA drives are concerned, they are, IMHO, one of the best brands available.

Raybro

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!